Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is HW 4.0 camera good enough for dashcam function or better use other dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Samsung bar plus 512GB is coming to market very soon, I wait for it instead of buying the Kingston model since it is too long so other stuff in glove box would hit it and it would be disconnected.

bar plus

Files stay secure, anywhere you go. Samsung's flash memory technology makes the BAR Plus a trustworthy drive to store your valuable data.
It's waterproof¹, shock-proof², magnet-proof³, temperature-proof⁴, and X-ray-proof⁵ body, plus it's backed by a 5-year limited warranty⁶.​

max 60°C, good enough for where I am at

I bought a 512 GB Samsung High Endurance SD Card last week. I formatted for exFAT and had the TeslaCam folder, but it didn't see it (not even to format it within the car). I'm not sure why it didn't work, as I know others have used > 2TB SSD drives, so the size was not an issue. My prior 128 GB High Endurance SD card worked fine. It wasn't a big deal, as it never gets fully anyway (HW3). Perhaps it is some limitation of my Hub.

I just moved the new 512 GB SD Card to my BlackVue dashcam, which works fine. I have a 4K dashcam in addition to the Tesla dashcam - it does a better job at picking out details like license plate text and uploads the video each day when I get home and connect to WiFi.

I bought a 512 GB Samsung High Endurance SD Card last week. I formatted for exFAT and had the TeslaCam folder, but it didn't see it (not even to format it within the car). I'm not sure why it didn't work, as I know others have used > 2TB SSD drives, so the size was not an issue. My prior 128 GB High Endurance SD card worked fine. It wasn't a big deal, as it never gets fully anyway (HW3). Perhaps it is some limitation of my Hub.

I just moved the new 512 GB SD Card to my BlackVue dashcam, which works fine. I have a 4K dashcam in addition to the Tesla dashcam - it does a better job at picking out details like license plate text and uploads the video each day when I get home and connect to WiFi.
Did you plug it into the right port? Not all work.