Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it as easy to hit your head on the Model S hatchback as it is on the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 7 ft section of ceiling in our garage that forces us to lower the liftgate height on our vehicles. With the MYP we have now, this results in constantly hitting our head on the liftgate. I can find abundant references to this happening to others as well.

I'm worried about the same thing occurring if we get a Model S for our other vehicle, but can't find this happening for model S owners nearly as much. Visually the two liftgates look very similar, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something that makes this less of a problem with the Model S. For the Model S owners out there that have had to lower your liftgate heights by around 6 inches, has it resulted in any problems with hitting your head?

Hard to say. You should go the the demo center and drive it home during your demo if you can, but the S roof height is already 7.7 inches lower than the Y, and in my scenario (under a car lift) it allows me to open it much farther than the Y.

Definitely had this happen on MYP.
Same situation where I set the adjustment a tad lower to clear garage door when opened.

However, for some reason haven't had this happen on Model S. Maybe I'm not reaching in as far for things in the S. I've never thought about it until this post really. 😂

We used to have an S and now have a Y. When the garage door is open, we can't open the Y tailgate all the way, and we sometimes hit our heads on it. That never happened with our old S, where the tailgate could be opened all the way regardless of the garage door position. So at least for a 2016 S, you're less likely to hit your head than with a Y.

Ben