Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal for the mcu to lose its 3g connection after it sleeps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've got this 2013 ms. I think it has the original mcu. 3g works fine. But if I'm parked for a while then the mcu, I assume, goes to sleep. After it wakes up the 3g connection is gone. I don't think it comes back. I've waited maybe 5 minutes. Resetting the mcu will bring it back though.

Is this a known problem?

So I've got this 2013 ms. I think it has the original mcu. 3g works fine. But if I'm parked for a while then the mcu, I assume, goes to sleep. After it wakes up the 3g connection is gone. I don't think it comes back. I've waited maybe 5 minutes. Resetting the mcu will bring it back though.

Is this a known problem?

I have the same issue on a 12/2012 Model S. When the car goes to sleep (after not driving for a couple of days), putting it into reverse will disconnect it from WiFi but not connect it to 3G. Reboot fixes it. I think this is a software bug (no other MCU failure symptoms, and it’s been doing this for a while through various updates). Most likely, there’s something unique about these cars... I’m happy though they still get software updates (including new functionality every once in a while).