Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to detect or view deleted sentry videos?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car washed this morning and when I got in the car, I noticed they had car wash mode on. About ten minutes ago I went outside and saw a massive gash on my front bumper which I didn’t see before today. I’m a little worried that they damaged it and deleted the sentry video. I usually have sentry videos from any movement around my car, but I don’t have any videos from today at the car wash.

Yes. Files on any filesystem (like your flash drive or SSD) work like a book with an index. When a file is deleted, it doesn't go to the page and erase it... it just removes the entry from the index, opening that page up for future writing.

So... if you've accidentally deleted a file, special software can scan every page and recover deleted files. The trick is to immediately cease from writing any new entries to the drive.

Back in the day I recovered a bunch of priceless photography for a friend who'd accidentally formatted a zip disc. At that time, I used freeware called "Drive Rescue" written by Alexander Grau. Googling for it turns up a few results, but I personally wouldn't install anything from a random source like that unless it was on a virtual machine that I could just deleted afterwards.

I got my car washed this morning and when I got in the car, I noticed they had car wash mode on. About ten minutes ago I went outside and saw a massive gash on my front bumper which I didn’t see before today. I’m a little worried that they damaged it and deleted the sentry video. I usually have sentry videos from any movement around my car, but I don’t have any videos from today at the car wash.

You can try recovering it using the tool that has been posted about by one of our active members, @stopcrazypp , in this post here: