Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to integrate a Gateway 2 with a Powerwall 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you talking about the Powerwall 1 DC which was paired with the Storedge7600 inverter? It would be strange to do this and the batteries would effectively be on different systems and under different control. It would be wierd.
@buckets0fun and you made me question my sanity, which is a good thing. I plead temporary insanity.

I have an existing 4.5kW PV system with two powerwalls. I want to increase the capacity of my system and contracted to have an additional 4.8kW of PV generation capacity with two additional powerwalls. When I was given a plan set to approve it included a PW2 and a PW+ that would integrate into my existing GW. My install happened in January and that's when the fun started. There was no PW+. I was told the plans never included a PW+ and that the GW2 that was on the materials pallet wasn't needed for the install.

I understand that there is very little difference between a PW+ and a PW2 / inverter combination aside from peak power output. I don't want to be pedantic about whether there is a difference. The PW+ part number was on the plan set, that is what I agreed to have installed, and I believe it is what Tesla should install. Even if the only difference were how the PW+ looks with the attached inverter, I think that is justification enough for Tesla to have to live up to installing it per the agreed plan set.

I understand that a GW2 is required for a PW+. Is this a correct assumption?

When I confronted Tesla about the PW+ they said that the reason they couldn't install it is that my existing Powerwalls were PW1 which is not compatible with GW2. Since GW2 is required for PW+, they wouldn't be able to install the PW+. I thought I had PW1 because that is what they put on the plan set and I bought the house with the existing system. But based on your responses, I double checked by removing the side panel and sure enough the existing powerwalls are labeled PW2 manufactured in late 2018.

So now Tesla is saying that they have to look at the design again and may have to install as "separate" systems. I'm not sure exactly what that means. How do you have separate systems for whole home backup? I have 200A service to my home and the existing system provides full home backup. How could the new system be separate? Would it be "backup to the backup"? Would they try to split the home backup?

If you wouldn't have questioned my sanity, I would still be under the incorrect impression that the plan set was correct, and my existing system had PW1 storage. Thank you.

@buckets0fun and you made me question my sanity, which is a good thing. I plead temporary insanity.

I understand that a GW2 is required for a PW+. Is this a correct assumption?
Not required. TEGv1 Aka “ugly” grey box can run 10 powerwalls. It doesn’t care if it’s PW2 30amp or 40amp.

However, I have no input towards the powerwall with inverter combo on a TEGv1

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin