Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to drive with Michelin Pilot sport 4s during winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run Michelin X Ice on my 90D all winter that I got through my local tire shop. You can also get them from TireRack. Safety depends on your weather conditions of course, but I personally don't have the stones to drive below freezing on sport tires.

Reactions: Takumi
all the winter tire packages on Tesla online store is out of stock, I wondering is it still safe to drive with my Michelin sport 4s during winter? All do you guys know any other tire that I can find to replace my current tire?

Those are summer tires, so if you are someplace that regularly goes below 40 degrees, or gets snow, the answer to your question would be "not recommended".

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Many summer tires will just up and crack when the temps go below 40F. They shouldn’t be exposed to those temps let alone drive on them. There was a mini scandal with Corvette over this. A bunch of cars with summer tires were exposed to freezing temps during transport and were delivered to customers with cracked tires. Not funny…

Get either a dedicated wheel and tire package with winters or switch to all seasons… (which aren’t exactly that…marketing)

Summary: Counter intuitive but, if it's below freezing and dry (no rain or snow), summer tires are safer than winter tires in terms of stopping performance.

I roll on summers year round and simply don't drive in wet conditions below freezing (which are fairly rare here).
I didn't watch the video, but the picture of the Honda S2000 sure brings back memories. I owned one for 15 years as my "toy" before it was replaced by my MS90D in mid-2016. Fun cars to drive in the right conditions, but kept it garage end when any form of frozen precipitation on the ground.

I had one experience with breaking that rule. Was forecast of snow late coming in around 5-6 pm, my other car was already planned to be in the shop, so thought I'd be ok intending to get out of the office mid-afternoon before the snow was forecast to start. Around 2:30 I realized I was seeing giant snowflakes coming down. By the time I could quick wrap up work, was already an inch of snow on the roads. Now, I'll admit I was pushing the wear limits on my rear Bridgestone Protenza S-02s, but let's just say the 5-6 mile drive home was "interesting". Was generally ok once I could get going, but getting through the 1-2-3-4 gear splits was a challenge. Avoided spinning it out or putting it in a ditch, but were multiple times being up partially sideways as the rear end would break traction and want to come around.

Once I made it home, getting up the very mild slope of my driveway was just as big of challenge. Couldn't get a real big running start as I had to avoid spinning out with the 90 degree turn off the street so I'd stall out, tires spinning just short of the garage door. Finally ended up making a run, just let the rear wheels spin with clouds of steam as spinning tires finally melted through to pavement to launch me forward into my garage. Fortunately I was able to keep it straight so I didn't end up against the side of the garage door.

So yes, you can use performance tires in the cold betting on dry pavement, but be aware of the risks!