Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled?

Is my Model 3 totaled?

• Yes

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Probably not but it's not happy and will need R&R (repair & recuperate)

Thank you. Hit the median wall after hydroplaning at around 70 mph. I'm very grateful we didn't roll over! I attempted to save the footage shortly after we made sure everyone was OK but the camera icon was missing. There was also a message on the left side of the screen that read "Electrical System Power Reduced". We were able to open the windows to let the smoke out (blue in color and a lot of it) and also to open all the doors and trunk once we knew it was safe to get out. The vehicle would keep trying to send alerts that the frunk is open but would not update it's location. Tesla agent wasn't able to locate it either after it got towed (we do know where it is / only mentioning this to provide more damage related details).

I'm also curious what to expect with it being a leased vehicle. Any info greatly appreciated.

So far there is a police report and an insurance claim (waiting to hear back on both) and I have also reached out to Tesla Leasing and the only info they provided was what additional info they'll need if the vehicle is totaled. My understanding is if payed off by insurance (primary / gap) the lease would end.

Ironically, in this instance were it an ICE car it would be more likely to be totaled due to the engine bay incursion!

That said, that's a LOT of damage!

Agree on both! It was repaired once before after a fender bender at around 35 mph. There was barely any visible damage but the autopilot stopped working. Took about 3 months to fix supposedly due to parts shortage / miscommunication :(

Based on the photos, that's what I thought happened. I'm thinking the 'smoke' was probably from the airbags.

How old was the car? How many miles on the tires?

Yeah 4 airbags went off - all in the front. It's a 2019 model. Got it at the end of May in 2019. There was one previous owner that returned it within a week (trial period). Current mileage is 19500+ / original tires as far as I know.

I have often heard that if the airbags go off, that's an indicator that the damage is bad enough that it will be totalled by the insurance.

You want it to be totalled.

Right, I've heard that too just wasn't sure whether with Tesla not having a whole lot going on up front compared to an ICE car would somehow offset the repair cost if that makes sense.

Thank you all that responded so far, I did a little more research and found an auction site that happens to have some Model 3s in salvaged condition:

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleSearch/...rs=make:Tesla&selectedRefiners=&zipcode=37067

I'd say most look worse than mine but it sure looks like it really doesn't take much for the ERC to reach astronomical figures.

I'll be sure to update once I know the outcome. In the meantime feel free to keep voting.

Here's my totaled TM3 AWD. I lost attention in a left hand turn, swung wide, and pranged both starboard wheels off the outside curb at about 35 MPH. It pulled hard to the right, but I drove it through a full left and right turn, parked it, and then drove it up on the tow truck. $24,000 first repair estimate. Totaled at 18 months and 8000 miles.

However, we made out great: after the big settlement and payoff, we had made money over our car payments and could immediately buy a brand new one and even pay for some upgrades! We picked it up three weeks ago.

20200829_211722.jpg