Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla changing warranty terms again, reducing coverage retroactively? [Website Error]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, mine warranty changed,
But
My motor went bad in March, I was over 120k and they replaced it free, also new gearbox.
I have Premium Connectivity for life with free super charging. BUT I have an antique.
Software updates are killing my car. TPMS reset option was removed by mistake. I couldn't super charge for 6 months.
My touch screen is leaking for 6 months, $1200 to replace it.
The most dramatic change is the throttled back super charging, added 2 hours to my trips to Richmond. This really sucks.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Only thing they’re reviewing is erroneous website coding. Our warranty terms were never changed. I cannot emphasize that enough.

This thread is a classic example of the dangerous power of FUD.
Until you go to service and all the employee has to go by is the website. Can you sue and win, probably, but like with the way (by 50%) overstated hp for P85D it is a lot of hassle and nobody bothered except a group of owners in Europe, who eventually got a $5,000 settlement, but anyone not part of their suit would have to sue from scratch.

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
Until you go to service and all the employee has to go by is the website. Can you sue and win, probably, but like with the way (by 50%) overstated hp for P85D it is a lot of hassle and nobody bothered except a group of owners in Europe, who eventually got a $5,000 settlement, but anyone not part of their suit would have to sue from scratch.

all the employee has today is a website... just not the customer facing one.

And the current customer facing one doesn’t show my extended warranty. Yet Tesla employees have had no problem verifying that I have it.

It’s fixed right now. Under warranty you click the learn more button to see your warranty which is and has always been accurate.
So you call fixed when the website shows 2 different, conflicting sets of information? Tesla website showed my P85D as having 691hp, 2 years later it changes to 463hp, do you think they will honor the original spec? Spoiler alert, the answer turned out to be be no, because that would cost them too much money - a group of owners managed to settle for $5K each, but as a settlement it's not a precedent for USA (you'd have to sue to sue Tesla from scratch).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
So you call fixed when the website shows 2 different, conflicting sets of information? Tesla website showed my P85D as having 691hp, 2 years later it changes to 463hp, do you think they will honor the original spec? Spoiler alert, the answer turned out to be be no, because that would cost them too much money - a group of owners managed to settle for $5K each, but as a settlement it's not a precedent for USA (you'd have to sue to sue Tesla from scratch).

The website doesn’t show two sets of conflicting information. It only links you to the warranty document, which is and has always been accurate. The website was broken before. But now it’s fixed.

So much of this thread is talking about other stuff (691 HP motors, yellow borders on the main screen, etc), but this thread was about the warranty and wether Tesla was reducing terms of the battery and drivetrain unit. When it was made, it looked like they were, but it turned out to just be an error with the website displaying incorrect information. Tesla chose to fix that by no longer displaying the term and just continuing to link to the warranty document. It’s time to let this go.

The website doesn’t show two sets of conflicting information. It only links you to the warranty document, which is and has always been accurate. The website was broken before. But now it’s fixed.

So much of this thread is talking about other stuff (691 HP motors, yellow borders on the main screen, etc), but this thread was about the warranty and wether Tesla was reducing terms of the battery and drivetrain unit. When it was made, it looked like they were, but it turned out to just be an error with the website displaying incorrect information. Tesla chose to fix that by no longer displaying the term and just continuing to link to the warranty document. It’s time to let this go.

I agree and I was one of the people posting about the warranty and yellow screen. Even though the screen issue is off-topic, it does relate to the underlying common thread of trust that Tesla will stand by their products and services, and will communicate honestly and transparently. Each of us determines for ourselves the level of trust we have in Tesla. Inconsistencies, lack of standardization, process and system issues, and product/service performance all contribute to our individual experiences and diverse positions within the trust spectrum. Imagine a Tesla company that is always truthfully transparent, proactively over-communicates, makes it a joy to engage with them, and always prioritizes customer experience at the top of the list. At one point in my career, I was an MBA instructor and had the privilege of teaching and learning from hundreds of business case studies and can’t remember a single one with a bad outcome when the company created excellent trust with their customers. Unfortunately, however, most companies don’t understand or do not achieve it. I continue to hope that Tesla will put customer trust at the top of their priority list - if they do then the sky will be the limit.

You are right, it's fixed on my account now too.

So much of this thread is talking about other stuff (691 HP motors, yellow borders on the main screen, etc), but this thread was about the warranty and wether Tesla was reducing terms of the battery and drivetrain unit.
Yea, that was mostly for context and history of past Tesla behavior of posting something on the website, then changing it and pretending it was never there. I'm surprised nobody brought up the AP1 summon. Try to go a service center today and ask them to fix you AP1 summon because it doesn't do what the picture and text below show - they well instead tell you they never heard of this old stuff on Tesla website, and since it's not there now then it isn't so, then point you to new text how AP1 Summon will drive in a straight line while you hold a button.

tesla-AP1-summon.png

The website doesn’t show two sets of conflicting information. It only links you to the warranty document, which is and has always been accurate. The website was broken before. But now it’s fixed

Not quite. My link goes to the warranty that was for vehicles starting in February this year. That is very different from the warranty for my car that I got at the end of 2017. Thankfully I downloaded a copy of the warranty for my car.

Not quite. My link goes to the warranty that was for vehicles starting in February this year. That is very different from the warranty for my car that I got at the end of 2017. Thankfully I downloaded a copy of the warranty for my car.
Now this would be news.... what was covered under your 2017 warranty that’s no longer covered under the current warranty?