Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla changing warranty terms again, reducing coverage retroactively? [Website Error]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
So I just went through the "yellowing of the screen in the first year of usage is not covered under warranty because it was exposed to oxygen". Now, when I went logged into my Tesla portal, I noticed the "8 years, unlimited mileage" drive unit and battery warranty has changed on my 2015 and 2018 Model S to "8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first", WTF?

Is this new? A quick search through TMC didn't yield any thread on this. What's next, 4 year warranty changes to 4 month warranty and Tesla claims typo in the original paperwork? Any part at all ever exposed to any amount of oxygen is no longer covered?

WTF... I just checked mine - same thing.. both cars have been reduced from lifetime to 120,000, its gotta be an error.

I hope they have the 8 year unlimited warranty for the Cybertruck, one of the main reasons I never bought the Model 3 was the poorer 125K battery warranty.

Last edited:
WTF... I just checked mine - same thing.. both cars have been reduced from lifetime to 120,000....
Sneaky changes, hoping nobody notices?
It's so sad that with Tesla you have to keep screenshots of what you pay for because they keep changing things retroactively and then employees claim that it is what it is, they have no old copies of website or documents. Even then, you may have to sue them.

Reactions: DeynerSeals
Don't worry about what that web page says, they can't legally change the warranty terms from what they were when the car was purchased. Just like many other things on this page, there are errors. It seems like if there is no value set it loads defaults or maybe people just have wrong values set for their car.

There are two threads in this section, literally right below yours, on this subject.

The website error is quite obviously a website error. It doesn’t matter what they change, it doesn’t matter what the website says. The only thing that matters is the conditions and terms of the warranty when the vehicle was originally sold.

This should be super obvious.

It must be a mistake, besides the 120k cap, now it also mentions free premium connectivity ends... this wasn't disclosed anywhere a week ago before I picked up the car. It's a used 2016 S.

a.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 247
Don't worry about what that web page says, they can't legally change the warranty terms from what they were when the car was purchased. Just like many other things on this page, there are errors. It seems like if there is no value set it loads defaults or maybe people just have wrong values set for their car.
Sadly, this may be true with traditional companies but not with Tesla. For example, Tesla at first acknowledged that my 2018 Model S yellow screen was under warranty, then suddenly changed their mind and said it wasn't pointing me to the recently added exclusion in the website copy of the warranty terms (wasn't there when I bought the car, not even when they first acknowledged it was covered).

I know, you will say that it's the employees that make mistakes, not Tesla, So let me rephrase:
Tesla employees make mistakes and misinform other employees (including Tesla lawyers) screwing customers, while there is no way to escalate or clarify the situation other than arbitration or a lawsuit. Better? ;)

Or are you one of those people who will tell me my P85D will eventually magically deliver 691hp, since that was the number in the design studio when I purchased the car, and I should ignore what they posted later that it only develops 463hp?

Last edited:
I don't think the free premium connectivity will end on cars prior to some recent date. I read an article on that and they aren't taking it away from anyone who had it for "life". It's just new cars that are losing it. That said, I've read that cars which had unlimited Supercharging which would transfer with the car no longer have that if sold by someone other than Tesla. They've been sending notices to people who will need to pay for the premium connectivity.

I checked my car and it now says my driveline warranty is only for 120,000 miles. I sent a message, but the options of who to send that to are limited to the various sales organizations. Going down the rabbit hole of contacting "support" only takes me to a page with some recommended reading. If the 800 number is going to push you off to the web site to contact someone, why don't they make that a little more obvious how to do that? Am I missing something?

It must be a mistake, besides the 120k cap, now it also mentions free premium connectivity ends... this wasn't disclosed anywhere a week ago before I picked up the car. It's a used 2016 S.

View attachment 485947

I don't think you will get free connectivity.

I also have a 2016 and mine still says it is free.

When Tesla repurchased the car they "removed" the free connectivity just like they remove transferrable FUSC.

Very sleazy but not surprising, coming from Tesla.

Reactions: Ludalicious
Right, probably it's not a mistake.
No big deal, $10 more per month but for sure their practices leave a bad taste and these will make the decision to move to another brand that much easier...

By the way, is it me or this doesn't sound too fair, charging the same amount for premium connectivity to MCU1 cars as they do for newer ones which can stream movies, browse the internet, etc... ?

Reactions: pilotSteve
There is a couple of things in play here. First regarding the warranty, Tesla can make a determination as to what is/is not covered (e.g. the yellowing screen). Tesla cannot change the terms of the warranty as it stood when the car was purchased as that is against the law (breach of contract / misrepresentation).

My thinking is that they are making some updates for new cars being sold now and it's incorrectly showing for older cars. For the premium connectivity, there was a cutoff date (I believe 7/31/18 but I could be wrong) where anything prior to that would retain free premium connectivity and after that it would be free for one year and then there would be a charge for it.

Sadly, this may be true with traditional companies but not with Tesla. For example, Tesla at first acknowledged that my 2018 Model S yellow screen was under warranty, then suddenly changed their mind and said it wasn't pointing me to the recently added exclusion in the website copy of the warranty terms (wasn't there when I bought the car, not even when they first acknowledged it was covered).

I know, you will say that it's the employees that make mistakes, not Tesla, So let me rephrase:
Tesla employees make mistakes and misinform other employees (including Tesla lawyers) screwing customers, while there is no way to escalate or clarify the situation other than arbitration or a lawsuit. Better? ;)

Or are you one of those people who will tell me my P85D will eventually magically deliver 691hp, since that was the number in the design studio when I purchased the car, and I should ignore what they posted later that it only develops 463hp?

They stopped replacing the screens for yellowing because the replacements didn't fix the issue and the UV machine was being rolled out. It sounded unbelievable but it works surprisingly.

Honestly it seems like there's nothing you like about owning a Tesla. Why don't you just sell yours and get something else?

They stopped replacing the screens for yellowing because the replacements didn't fix the issue and the UV machine was being rolled out. It sounded unbelievable but it works surprisingly.
Incorrect. Tesla still claims the yellowing is not covered, and that a "one time only" treatment is provided out of their good will only.

Honestly it seems like there's nothing you like about owning a Tesla.
Not true, they drive great, by which I don't mean auto-pilot, but manual mode of driving. What takes away from the pleasure are things like knowing that I get in an accident I'll be dealing with repairs for months, or the fact that my MCU is a ticking time-bomb, which already got me driving with open windows in freezing weather once because it would not restart.

Why don't you just sell yours and get something else?
Because I sunk my money into Tesla cars, so the car needs to drive long enough to get the depreciation value out of it. I did try to get out of Tesla cars few months ago, but that deal was killed because I couldn't trade in a car with a yellow screen, and by the time it was fixed the trade-in value dropped by almost $20K. Offer me MSRP on both my cars and I promise you I will replace them with non-Tesla cars. :D

yeah agree the 120K seems sneaky. Also I have a 2016 S with an extended warranty - that hasn't shown up on their site for a while now. Are they trying to hide that too hoping I'll forget I paid for that?
I asked my SA if my extended warranty would ever show up on my account page when I purchased it and he said "maybe someday." Keep your receipt. If the original warranty includes something that Tesla has since removed, it should still be covered under the extended because no terms were changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: cybergates
this is from the car I picked up yesterday. It is not like I am going to put 120k miles on my car in 8 years may be half so 120 or unlimited don't matter much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 7.01.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 7.01.43 AM.png
    77 KB · Views: 73