Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla closer than we think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How feasible or likely is it that Tesla implements driving rules to change how FSD behaves and is able to get to L4 or L5 sooner than we all think?

Similar to how UPS trucks always route right turns unless taking a left is unavoidable. If you avoid the riskiest situations, you can definitely increase your safety by a huge margin.

We keep thinking about Tesla as trying to solve all of these situations and it's obvious that they are trying, but just like an 80 year old grandma, they could avoid certain dangerous situations and still get to the destination fine

How feasible or likely is it that Tesla implements driving rules to change how FSD behaves and is able to get to L4 or L5 sooner than we all think?

Similar to how UPS trucks always route right turns unless taking a left is unavoidable. If you avoid the riskiest situations, you can definitely increase your safety by a huge margin.

We keep thinking about Tesla as trying to solve all of these situations and it's obvious that they are trying, but just like an 80 year old grandma, they could avoid certain dangerous situations and still get to the destination fine

That does not seem like Elon's M.O. He seems committed to his "general FSD solution".

That does not seem like Elon's M.O. He seems committed to his "general FSD solution".
Right. And that's why we are measuring based on that.

But for example the one thing I see it having problems with is left turns over major roads because of the pillar camera like in the intersection that Chuck Cook tests. If in that case you had a rule to go right, it would help tremendously.

Right. And that's why we are measuring based on that.

But for example the one thing I see it having problems with is left turns over major roads because of the pillar camera like in the intersection that Chuck Cook tests. If in that case you had a rule to go right, it would help tremendously.

Yes, creating restrictions like no left turns would help a lot. Elon just won't do it. But it's one reason why I predict Tesla will keep driver supervision for a long time to come because I don't think the current sensors can do L5 driverless. Elon will insist on a general solution and since it won't be able to do L5 reliably enough for driverless, Tesla will be forced to keep driver supervision.

Elon will insist on a general solution and since it won't be able to do L5 reliably enough for driverless, Tesla will be forced to keep driver supervision. I don't think the current sensors can do L5 driverless.
L5 is "driverless" by definition. But I will be ecstatic for L2+ or L3- without geofencing. Something the competitors cannot do.

Reactions: mikes_fsd

Karpathy says something similar at 23:06 in this video:

Personally, I don't know how close Tesla is to Level 4 in an absolute sense, but I think most people vastly underestimate Tesla's relative advantage to other players like Waymo and Cruise. Tesla has 1 million+ drivers generating labelled data every day. The data is automatically curated so that only the most novel, interesting, valuable examples get uploaded. This is a colossal advantage. It enables Tesla to do what other companies just fundamentally can't do.

Per Karpathy:

Last edited:
...Tesla implements driving rules to change how FSD behaves and is able to get to L4 or L5 sooner than we all think?
My guestimate is Tesla will get to wide level release level 4 in 5+ years. Hopefully in 2 years we will get level 3 on the freeway. For very limited level 4, like limited to a gated old folks community, I still doubt they will do that with in the next 3 years. Good idea to limit left turns, I doubt Tesla will get there in the next 3.5 years.

... Tesla's relative advantage to other players like Waymo and Cruise. Tesla has 1 million+ drivers ...
1 million drivers is nice. I'm not sure it will help them that much. To me Tesla's big advantage is ability to take risk of harming people. I've talked to several at Waymo and Tesla and they are vastly different companies with different attitudes. My assessment is that Waymo has zero ability to take risk of harming people. Until that changes Waymo will be hugely unsuccessful as they are today, losing billions each year.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't know how close Tesla is to Level 4 in an absolute sense, but I think most people vastly underestimate Tesla's relative advantage to other players like Waymo and Cruise. Tesla has 1 million+ drivers generating labelled data every day. The data is automatically curated so that only the most novel, interesting, valuable examples get uploaded. This is a colossal advantage. It enables Tesla to do what other companies just fundamentally can't do.

Sorry but this is a tired argument that Tesla fans have been pushing for years that is total BS. If Tesla has such a colossal advantage, where is it? How come Tesla is not far ahead of Waymo and Cruise in autonomy? Yes, Tesla's data has allowed Tesla to improve features and deploy features to a large fleet. But those features are L2. Tesla's "data advantage" has not allowed Tesla to deploy any autonomy yet.

If Tesla were really labeling data from 1M drivers every day, for a couple years now, there should not be a single feature that Tesla has not labeled. Tesla should have solved vision already. Clearly that is not the case.

Put simply, Tesla supposedly has had this colossal "data advantage" for years now and they still only have L2 while other companies have L4? That does not make any sense.

Last edited: