Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla screwing me over on charges?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I needed some additional insight on this matter to make sure if I'm in the wrong or not.

I have a 2016 model S with FSD. I noticed the option of upgrading the cameras and computer available so I scheduled a service visit to have that done. Once completed, I received the car back and to my surprise, my autopilot no longer works. I get an error stating that a camera alignment needed to be completed. Prior to the camera upgrades it worked flawlessly with no errors.

I tried resetting the car and completing the camera calibration from the screen but the problem seems to persist. After a few more service visits and a few weeks past by, I was told that they're unable to connect toolbox to my vehicle. So they would need to charge me an extra 2 hours ($500+) to diagnose my car with no guarantee that this would fix the issue.

Their "master technician" states that he believe this is due to two unknown wires in my car. The two wires I have are a piggy back wire to power my radar detector and another one being a power wire (mini USB) to a remote that controls my aftermarket air suspension. My air suspension power cables are ran straight into the 12v battery.

TLDR: Am I in the wrong for refusing to pay the service center additional money to diagnose issues that arose after my car got FSD camera upgrades?

They told you why they charge you diagnose fee for aftermarket wiring. why don't you remove those 2 wires and so they can diagnose why your diagnose port is not powering on.. why you have to give them hard time like a "karen"
Good point, I’ll have these two wires removed for them. I definitely don’t want to be a Karen but thank you for the honesty!