Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Camera Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ,
I recently had the free camera upgrade to my MS , before it had it done the side repeaters were chrome to match the rest of the car. When it came back they are black, personally I don’t like this as I rather have everything either black door handles etc or all chrome . I contacted the service centre who said that they come this way and they would see if there are any chrome covers and arrange a mobile visit . Can I confirm first that the chrome is in fact just a cover and don’t come as a complete unit , secondly has anyone else had their side repeaters fitted and then been chrome . Thanks in advance

Well free for me , all I did was pay for the MCU2 upgrade when I first purchased the vehicle , I don’t have the FSD package I have on Enhanced autopilot but still contacted me to upgrade .

Hang on. Something was misread I think.
@swt2c said: "It's for cars that were originally delivered with AP 2.0 hardware and have purchased FSD package."

Your MCU2 upgrade cost more than mine I believe.
AP 1.0 cars = $1750 for MCU2 upgrade
AP 2.0 = $2000+? because of the cameras

So you're paying for them one way or another.

Hang on. Something was misread I think.
@swt2c said: "It's for cars that were originally delivered with AP 2.0 hardware and have purchased FSD package."

Your MCU2 upgrade cost more than mine I believe.
AP 1.0 cars = $1750 for MCU2 upgrade
AP 2.0 = $2000+? because of the cameras

So you're paying for them one way or another.
I believe they are charging more for the AP 2.0 cars because they also upgrade the Autopilot ECU when they do the MCU upgrade, not the cameras.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Hi @marky_boy, this is interesting. I requested the camera upgrade for my S but the opposite colours of you.

The original estimate didn’t state whether chrome or not, it just had the part #s for the cameras. When I looked on the parts catalogue for the side repeater cameras, it says you can order either a chrome or aero black housing.

I requested black (my car is all chrome but I’m in the middle of DIY de-chroming). Long story short, they’ve invoiced me for the black part which is fine, and tagged on labour to fit it instead of the chrome. That’s a bit steep.

I haven’t done it yet as car was in involved in a crash so that needs sorting first but hopefully in April I’ll be going to Chelmsford for the camera upgrade.

Odd that you got the black housing without asking, and for free!

Hi @marky_boy, this is interesting. I requested the camera upgrade for my S but the opposite colours of you.

The original estimate didn’t state whether chrome or not, it just had the part #s for the cameras. When I looked on the parts catalogue for the side repeater cameras, it says you can order either a chrome or aero black housing.

I requested black (my car is all chrome but I’m in the middle of DIY de-chroming). Long story short, they’ve invoiced me for the black part which is fine, and tagged on labour to fit it instead of the chrome. That’s a bit steep.

I haven’t done it yet as car was in involved in a crash so that needs sorting first but hopefully in April I’ll be going to Chelmsford for the camera upgrade.

Odd that you got the black housing without asking, and for free!
Hi AA 75D, Funny enough Chelmsford is where mine was done . I got the opposite to you , free of charge the chrome covers but charged labour for a mobile ranger . Quick question , as you’re taking yours to Chelmsford I guess you live near . Any recommendations of a good MOT garage as MOT due in a few weeks . Thanks

Hi @AA 75D, Funny enough Chelmsford is where mine was done . I got the opposite to you , free of charge the chrome covers but charged labour for a mobile ranger . Quick question , as you’re taking yours to Chelmsford I guess you live near . Any recommendations of a good MOT garage as MOT due in a few weeks . Thanks

Hey @marky_boy sorry, missed the last message. I’m not that local (Romford) but I prefer to use Chelmsford over Dartford or others because they’ve always impressed. I’ve taken my car to kwik fit to change tyres and had Halfords autocentre in Grays so the MOT. Both places knew what they were doing, had the pucks to attach when lifting the car and jobs well done. More and more garages are getting used to working on Teslas these days, if you don’t want a big name but otherwise Halfords/Kwik fit should sort you out. Any other questions, let me know. Cheers.

Thanks , have messaged you the numbers for the parts . Didn’t see your last message until now , so please ignore me re asking the question about MOT’s as you have already answered thanks . Use to live in Romford myself actually . 👍🏻

Hi ,
I recently had the free camera upgrade to my MS , before it had it done the side repeaters were chrome to match the rest of the car. When it came back they are black, personally I don’t like this as I rather have everything either black door handles etc or all chrome . I contacted the service centre who said that they come this way and they would see if there are any chrome covers and arrange a mobile visit . Can I confirm first that the chrome is in fact just a cover and don’t come as a complete unit , secondly has anyone else had their side repeaters fitted and then been chrome . Thanks in advance
I picked mine up with black also.

They came out and put the chrome covers on. They look fine. They would look a bit better if I didn't know they were covers lol.

Black just didn't look good to me with all the other chrome.