Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service/warranty really this bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently purchased a '21 M3LR, only 15k miles on it. The bottom of the driver's seat isn't attached so that whole plastic section w/ the seat controls flops around loose; there's what sounds like a screw that's fallen out inside the passenger door; and the driver's seatbelt adjustment by the shoulder doesn't work at all, can't move it. Put in a service request via the app and they're giving me an estimate of ~$500. This should definitely be a warranty issue, yes?

First question - who did you buy the M3 from? Third party dealer, private party or Tesla?

The estimate from Tesla is standard practice until they actually review the work to be done in person. Items beyond normal wear/tear will not be covered. It sounds like your work is under warranty, but Tesla will make that determination. If it is found to be warranty work, they will zero out the costs. If it is abuse or beyond normal wear/tear, you’ll have to pay for it.

Good luck, and welcome to being a Tesla owner :)

Just recently purchased a '21 M3LR, only 15k miles on it. The bottom of the driver's seat isn't attached so that whole plastic section w/ the seat controls flops around loose; there's what sounds like a screw that's fallen out inside the passenger door; and the driver's seatbelt adjustment by the shoulder doesn't work at all, can't move it. Put in a service request via the app and they're giving me an estimate of ~$500. This should definitely be a warranty issue, yes?
If someone has meddled with it, it won’t be covered. If it‘s deemed a defect in materials or workmanship then it should be covered. It seems unlikely that the seat fell apart by itself, the same with the seat belt mechanism.

Didn’t you drive the car before you bought it?

If the repairs are warranty covered, then you won’t be charged.

No one here will be able to tell you whether the repairs are covered.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
If someone has meddled with it, it won’t be covered. If it‘s deemed a defect in materials or workmanship then it should be covered. It seems unlikely that the seat fell apart by itself, the same with the seat belt mechanism.

Didn’t you drive the car before you bought it?

If the repairs are warranty covered, then you won’t be charged.

No one here will be able to tell you whether the repairs are covered.
Sounds like there's a lot of negative assumption in that post...
Unlikely? Well sure, isn't any failure/QA issue supposed to be unlikely?
Yes, I drove the car first. (but in the day of Carmax, Carvana, etc is that really a point of contention?) Seat bottom didn't look to be coming off at that time or for the next few thousand miles, also didn't need to adjust the seatbelt height so I didn't. I've since settled on a higher seat position so when I went to adjust the seatbelt to match...discovered that issue. The screw in the passenger door was there day 1, I've just tolerated it, but the sound of it rolling around in there has gotten really old. I could fix myself, and will if they think they're going to charge me for it, but if looking at fixing one thing may as well look at all of them.

And no one here in a community of Tesla owners will be able to share their experience with service and warranty work? That last sentence really begs the question of 'why bother?'

Hey Jamoorman, this should not be an issue for it to be covered under warranty as long as the previous owner did not have problems with it before. If you have not been contacted by the service team I would message them to confirm as they have to look over your service ticket