Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the backup load center powered thru the Tesla Gateway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to replace a switch in my house. I want to turn off the power to the house first, not just that circuit. I'd prefer to avoid touching the service disconnect breaker as it is extremely difficult to switch back on, so much so I thought I was going to break it last time I did this. When I open the outside panel, I see the 200a service disconnect and a 200a breaker labeled gateway and non BLC. Will this top breaker disconnect power to the house from the grid or does the service disconnect need to still be turned off?

IMG_7944 Large.jpeg

I plan to switch off all the other breakers in the BLC / non BLC first including the solar and PW breakers to eliminate power from any of those sources, then turn off the grid.

I need to replace a switch in my house. I want to turn off the power to the house first, not just that circuit. I'd prefer to avoid touching the service disconnect breaker as it is extremely difficult to switch back on, so much so I thought I was going to break it last time I did this. When I open the outside panel, I see the 200a service disconnect and a 200a breaker labeled gateway and non BLC. Will this top breaker disconnect power to the house from the grid or does the service disconnect need to still be turned off?

View attachment 867166

I plan to switch off all the other breakers in the BLC / non BLC first including the solar and PW breakers to eliminate power from any of those sources, then turn off the grid.
If that is your outdoor meter panel we are looking at, then turning off either breaker will accomplish the same result and cut power from the grid.

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
If that is your outdoor meter panel we are looking at, then turning off either breaker will accomplish the same result and cut power from the grid.
yes, that's the outdoor panel that Tesla removed all the individual circuits from and relocated those to the inside of the garage.

Curious, isn't the top breaker redundant? What's the reasoning for them to add it in addition to the service disconnect breaker?

thanks!

yes, that's the outdoor panel that Tesla removed all the individual circuits from and relocated those to the inside of the garage.

Curious, isn't the top breaker redundant? What's the reasoning for them to add it in addition to the service disconnect breaker?

thanks!
YW.

The bottom breaker has no easy way otherwise to connect 200A wires to it, since it is only connected to the distribution bus.