Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the browser usable in your S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 S85....

browser useless since V9 firmware arrived (was that 2017?)

i seem to recall the browser was part of 2013 Tech Package, which I paid for

why is it ok for Tesla to do nothing about this? and feel like they can get away with doing nothing?

2015 S90. My experience matches those above, worthless since V9 upgrade.

I think this has remained such a low priority for Tesla because the functional status of the browser was so poor previously. I liked it on long trips, but rarely used it otherwise. Had it been closer to a low-level smart phone level of functionality I would miss it more.

Aren't most of the pre-2019 Teslas using 3G telematics "phone network" for the data connection from the car? 3G is being phased out, and Verizon says it will not support anything past this December. AT&T that I think Tesla uses is hanging on for another year or so, but these are not great connections anymore, and are much slower that current 4G, 5G, WiFi on the cell phone you carry with you.

Update: AT&T plans to end service on its 3G wireless networks in February 2022.

My June 2020 Model S browser works well. I am able to access my DishAnywhere account and stream my Dish satellite service to the car and watch TV. The browser even stops the video when the car is moving. I don't know what would cause the failures many are mentioning, but I suspect it is likely a poor Telsa cell network connection in most instances.

I don't know what would cause the failures many are mentioning
Your car has different browser. Tesla disabled the browser in older cars so only cars with hardware and software like yours still work as well as they did originally.

They probably won't begin disabling things in your 2020 for years so enjoy full functionality while it lasts. When your hardware is surpassed by a new architecture this is what you have to look forward to. Knowing what I do now the best advice is stop updating when new hardware is released - before they have a chance to remove things you currently have.

Your car has different browser. Tesla disabled the browser in older cars so only cars with hardware and software like yours still work as well as they did originally.

They probably won't begin disabling things in your 2020 for years so enjoy full functionality while it lasts. When your hardware is surpassed by a new architecture this is what you have to look forward to. Knowing what I do now the best advice is stop updating when new hardware is released - before they have a chance to remove things you currently have.
I am new and just learning. I just sold a 2017 Audi A8 because Audi let me know most of the cool online features, like Google Maps, Hotspot, etc, would stop working in December. It had 3G services. It is nice to have a car with technology that is working, but I guess Tesla giveth, and Tesla taketh away. I just hope I get 4 to 6 good years of all features - certainly thru the warranty period, which even the Audi didn't meet.

My 2014 Model S had a perfectly functional browser when it was delivered.
I would never compare its performance to a modern PC, even back then, but it worked. Every morning I would read my emails using webmail (traffic jam time spending...), check weather, read the newspaper online, etc...
No problem at all, simple websites = no problem, difficult websites (lots of flash) = problem, but just what
you'd expect form a browser in a car.
Then end 2016 they upgraded the UI to the new look and...
that was the end of the browser.
A functional feature stopped working, white screen, sometimes it shows a page after a few days, sometimes it doesn't.
At Tesla they kept saying that it was a software issue and they were going to fix it.
They never did.
Even a couple of years later when Elon anounced that they would speed up the UI by a SW improvement, the UI got
more responsive but the browser kept its white screen.
They added farting noises and other useless features but forgot to fix a broken item.
This year my MCU1 died (eMMC issue) and it got replaced by a new MCU1 with larger eMMC.
Only difference now is 4G/LTE but nothing else.
Browser is dead.
Everytime I mention this to Tesla they say 'we know this, you can't compare this with a modern computer'.
I HATE IT when they say this because it did work back in 2014-2015-2016 on 3G.
I have a car with a 17" screen and want to check the opening hours of a local shop without risking a traffic fine because I take my phone while in my car (illegal in Belgium). Tesla claims it can no longer be done.

I always wondered if I was the only person with a 2014 MCU1 with a white screen browser, but reading this thread it
sounds as if it is not car related but a intensive feature destruction.

What I think? They installed a cheap consumer eMMC memory in a car, the browser uses that memory too intensive, they switched off the browser to prevent the memory to die within warranty period.

So NO Elon, I do not require a fart feature in my car,
and YES ELON, I WANT MY BROWSER BACK

Reactions: gnxs
Amen to that. Perfectly and factually stated. Those days were fantasctic, I remember telling my wife at midnight, let's go for a quick ride to see what the update brought us this time (which back then was version 7 coming on board) and beeing happy on the way back home for the improvements. Now, we wait for updates that will bring back what we had for all the years you list. Being of a positive nature, I do not despair but it's getting long in the tooth! Have a great day and a wonderfull Christmas and 2021.

My 2014 Model S had a perfectly functional browser when it was delivered.
I would never compare its performance to a modern PC, even back then, but it worked. Every morning I would read my emails using webmail (traffic jam time spending...), check weather, read the newspaper online, etc...
No problem at all, simple websites = no problem, difficult websites (lots of flash) = problem, but just what
you'd expect form a browser in a car.
Then end 2016 they upgraded the UI to the new look and...
that was the end of the browser.
A functional feature stopped working, white screen, sometimes it shows a page after a few days, sometimes it doesn't.
At Tesla they kept saying that it was a software issue and they were going to fix it.
They never did.
Even a couple of years later when Elon anounced that they would speed up the UI by a SW improvement, the UI got
more responsive but the browser kept its white screen.
They added farting noises and other useless features but forgot to fix a broken item.
This year my MCU1 died (eMMC issue) and it got replaced by a new MCU1 with larger eMMC.
Only difference now is 4G/LTE but nothing else.
Browser is dead.
Everytime I mention this to Tesla they say 'we know this, you can't compare this with a modern computer'.
I HATE IT when they say this because it did work back in 2014-2015-2016 on 3G.
I have a car with a 17" screen and want to check the opening hours of a local shop without risking a traffic fine because I take my phone while in my car (illegal in Belgium). Tesla claims it can no longer be done.

I always wondered if I was the only person with a 2014 MCU1 with a white screen browser, but reading this thread it
sounds as if it is not car related but a intensive feature destruction.

What I think? They installed a cheap consumer eMMC memory in a car, the browser uses that memory too intensive, they switched off the browser to prevent the memory to die within warranty period.

So NO Elon, I do not require a fart feature in my car,
and YES ELON, I WANT MY BROWSER BACK

Everyone knows this is the reason the browser is useless.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has asked Tesla to recall some 158,000 Model S and Model X vehicles that could suffer from failing display consoles, according to a letter published by the agency on Wednesday. The failures of the so-called “media control units” in these vehicles can sever the owner’s access to their vehicle’s backup camera, climate controls, and Tesla’s Autopilot driver assistance system, increasing the risk of a crash, the safety agency says.

The problem at the heart of the defect that NHTSA wants Tesla to fix involves worn-out flash memory chips used in the displays of 2012-2018 Model S sedans and 2016-2018 Model X SUVs. Each time an owner turns on one of these Teslas, it eats away at the total capacity of the the 8GB eMMC NAND flash memory chip onboard the NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor that powers the displays. When that capacity is reached — usually about five to six years later, the agency says — the displays become bricked. Motherboard first reported on the issue in 2019.
Tesla confirmed to NHTSA that all units with this chip “will inevitably fail,” according to the agency, and also provided a statistical model showing projected weekly repairs lasting from 2020 to 2028, with the most failures happening in 2022.
NHTSA opened a formal investigation into the problem last June, and said Wednesday that the probe is still ongoing despite the request that Tesla recall the vehicles. It’s unclear if Tesla will comply. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In the letter, NHTSA acknowledges that Tesla has issued over-the-air software updates meant to mitigate the failures, but the agency believes those don’t go far enough — especially because the problem cuts access to the backup camera, which is now a federally mandated feature. “[T]hese updates are procedurally and substantively insufficient,” the agency writes.

While Tesla popularized the use of large touchscreen displays in cars, it had more than one problem with these earlier models. Beyond the flash memory issue at the heart of NHTSA’s recall request, early Tesla displays also suffered from bubbling and yellow banding since they were not up to typical automotive standards.

• Informative
Reactions: Geezer_MS100
I bought my car in 2017 and received the free HDW update yesterday.. I have a fast wireless Network and updates have always been fast and never a problem. Streaming music, gps, maps etc. have been Flawless.on the road or at home. No matter where the car is, home or away, trying to use the Internet browser Is a Act of futility. At times a page may open in 5 minutes or so.Never ever is it as fast or Reliable as the cheapest phone On the slowest network. When I hear about being able to watch Netflix I am baffled. I do not want this but I always thought there was no reason the browser should not function as well as a phone. To me the strangest thing is that it works no better on my home e Network.Than it works on the cell signal. I hoped the HDW update would solve this but the only visible change is the stop signs and traffic lights. I wonder can my car ever get to FSD and do such a sorry job retrieving anything from the internet. I know it is a separate issue but my car cost 100 k and for that price I expected every thing to work.
Own a 2015 MS85D. Have the same experience. Nav & music streaming are fine. Web browsing or searching are so spotty and slow that they are effectively useless. Don’t need it that often, so I’m not looking to purchase costly upgrades. So, there we are, smh