Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a noticeable difference between p85d vs p85dl initial acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes that one. I plan on keeping a Tesla for awhile if I get one so the idea of them reducing the hp bothers me. Do you know what exactly is different in the new packs that changes the voltage? Is it the modules or something else? Wondering if someone's battery went out if they could just replace the modules and keep the same voltage. I might be crazy enough to dig into them like rich rebuilds. I've restored a lot of cars before.
Voltage is always determined by the number of cells in series, assuming all cells are the same nominal voltage, which they are in these cases. The conclusion in that thread was that the performance of the car with the new battery was on par with the older, higher voltage pack. If the BMS allows the newer 350v pack to output 1285A, its performance would be equal to a 400v pack at 1125A. Both get you to 450kw. 450kw is what was recorded by this P85DL owner after the upgrade with a preheated battery:

However, I also don't put too much value in any performance benefits by using Ludicrous+ though to preheat the battery and activate launch mode. Since the process takes so long, it's really only useful if you're drag racing the car or showing off. It's not the thing you activate at a stoplight or when you want to pass someone. It also wastes a fair amount of energy to drive around with the battery heater on all the time, and it can increase battery degradation.