Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a noticeable difference between p85d vs p85dl initial acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to buy one soon and I have two options. One is a p85d with a brand new battery at a dealer and the other one is a p85dl on the original battery from a private seller and I also have a trade-in that's worth a lot so I would have to sell my car and hope the private seller doesn't sell the car and I end up with no car. Both around the same price. I rode in a p85dl with ludicrous and the acceleration was incredible and exactly what I want. I really only care about the first 3 seconds of acceleration that hits you like a brick. Is there a noticeable difference between the two in acceleration in the first 3 seconds at a launch or is it not noticeable? I really think the one with the new battery pack is the better option because I can upgrade to ludicrous later on because I read tesla is accepting preorders for it again and my main concern about buying a used tesla is the battery pack. I just worry they'll discontinue it like they did before because Tesla does weird things like that if I'm not happy with the acceleration of the p85d.

I have never driven a non-ludicrous equipped P85D that wasn't locked in chill mode, but Tesla advertised 2.8s 0-60 for the Ludicrous upgrade vs. 3.2s without. I think 2.8s is a little generous, however. 1/4 mile times are about 3 tenths faster in the Ludicrous car according to an article I read. I think most of that time is gained early on. Ludicrous mode was more about raising the amount of current the battery could deliver to the motors via upgraded wiring and an upgraded pyro fuse, and less about sustained power. Trap speeds are pretty similar between the cars. In other words, if you care about 0-60, you should have a Ludicrous car.

I did not see where Tesla was starting to offer Ludicrous mode for their legacy cars. Where did you see that? How much? It was originally a $5k option. If it's anywhere close to that again, I would buy the car with Ludicrous already, all other aspects of the cars being the same. $5k was not as significant a cost when the cars were well over $100k, but at their current values, $5k is not worth the difference IMO.

But really, if you're going to buy a P85D with Ludicrous, buy mine. :)

I have never driven a non-ludicrous equipped P85D that wasn't locked in chill mode, but Tesla advertised 2.8s 0-60 for the Ludicrous upgrade vs. 3.2s without. I think 2.8s is a little generous, however. 1/4 mile times are about 3 tenths faster in the Ludicrous car according to an article I read. I think most of that time is gained early on. Ludicrous mode was more about raising the amount of current the battery could deliver to the motors via upgraded wiring and an upgraded pyro fuse, and less about sustained power. Trap speeds are pretty similar between the cars. In other words, if you care about 0-60, you should have a Ludicrous car.

I did not see where Tesla was starting to offer Ludicrous mode for their legacy cars. Where did you see that? How much? It was originally a $5k option. If it's anywhere close to that again, I would buy the car with Ludicrous already, all other aspects of the cars being the same. $5k was not as significant a cost when the cars were well over $100k, but at their current values, $5k is not worth the difference IMO.

But really, if you're going to buy a P85D with Ludicrous, buy mine. :)
lol how much? The guy on CL selling for a steal it seems like. 43k obo with auto pilot. For the p85dl. The p85d with the new battery is 46k. I don't care about the time I care about the feel of acceleration if there's a noticeable difference. Idk seems like .4 seconds isn't much difference but I don't know I only rode in the p85dl before and it was incredible.

In my opinion it's a noticeable difference between the two but just how noticeable is incredibly subjective. It will also help with resale as it's not something many of them have. At the time it came out, it required most owners to take their freshly purchased new P85D back into Tesla, let them have it for many days/weeks and pay $5,500 to receive a couple of tenths of a second on their 0-60 time.

Also, I'm not sure Tesla will upgrade your car to Ludicrous. They did away with that ability many years ago so I would just factor that not being an option later into your equation for decision making.

Source: I've owned both cars (2014 P85D & P85DL) in question simultaneously in basically the exact same variables such as year, miles, options, wheels, etc.

In my opinion it's a noticeable difference between the two but just how noticeable is incredibly subjective. It will also help with resale as it's not something many of them have. At the time it came out, it required most owners to take their freshly purchased new P85D back into Tesla, let them have it for many days/weeks and pay $5,500 to receive a couple of tenths of a second on their 0-60 time.

Also, I'm not sure Tesla will upgrade your car to Ludicrous. They did away with that ability many years ago so I would just factor that not being an option later into your equation for decision making.

Source: I've owned both cars (2014 P85D & P85DL) in question simultaneously in basically the exact same variables such as year, miles, options, wheels, etc.
Tesla's Ludicrous Mode Upgrade for P85D Costs $7,500 Fairly recent article. I just worry they would cancel that program because I believe they did it before and be stuck with a p85d without ludicrous permanently.

Had P85D upgraded to ludi about 5-6 years ago. The numbers are definitely quicker but it’s honestly hard to tell by butt dyno.
3.1 vs 2.9 I believe
So the launch on the P85D is pretty brutal as well without ludicrous? I wish I could ride in a P85D just to see. My friend had it but with ludicrous and it felt like I was gonna die it was so fast and felt like the blood left my legs lol.

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
lol how much? The guy on CL selling for a steal it seems like. 43k obo with auto pilot. For the p85dl. The p85d with the new battery is 46k. I don't care about the time I care about the feel of acceleration if there's a noticeable difference. Idk seems like .4 seconds isn't much difference but I don't know I only rode in the p85dl before and it was incredible.
I'll just leave this here:

The P85D was not a slow car before Ludicrous. I just know that if I left that performance on the table I would think about it, so when I was shopping for my car in 2019, I needed the underline on the badge.

Now that I think about it, I have driven my own car without Ludicrous. Tesla took the feature away a couple months after I bought it until I proved via email correspondence that the sales associate confirmed it had it before I purchased it. The car was still quick for sure, but it was probably down about 50 hp.

I'll just leave this here:

The P85D was not a slow car before Ludicrous. I just know that if I left that performance on the table I would think about it, so when I was shopping for my car in 2019, I needed the underline on the badge.

Now that I think about it, I have driven my own car without Ludicrous. Tesla took the feature away a couple months after I bought it until I proved via email correspondence that the sales associate confirmed it had it before I purchased it. The car was still quick for sure, but it was probably down about 50 hp.
Yeah I'll probably just ending getting the ludicrous mode then. Here is the link I forgot that says Tesla started allowing to upgrade the p85d to ludicrous mode again last July Tesla's Ludicrous Mode Upgrade for P85D Costs $7,500
I'm going to wait to buy though because I have a 95 eclipse gsx 5 speed coverted to a 97-99 body that's supposedly has a built motor and transmission for 650 hp. Just need to add a couple things to it and hopefully get a nice chunk of change to go towards the Tesla.

That link is very old despite the July 2022 headline.. it links to statements from 2016.
On the car with the "new" battery - you need to get a look (and picture) of the battery label... located inside the front passenger tire-well. If it's a 350volt battery, it actually is a new battery that will supercharge fast (vs a battery from 8 years ago) and likely will last over 200-300k more miles. If it's a 400v battery, then the 'new' battery is a refurbished battery that really is essentially the same as an 8 year old battery

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
That link is very old despite the July 2022 headline.. it links to statements from 2016.
On the car with the "new" battery - you need to get a look (and picture) of the battery label... located inside the front passenger tire-well. If it's a 350volt battery, it actually is a new battery that will supercharge fast (vs a battery from 8 years ago) and likely will last over 200-300k more miles. If it's a 400v battery, then the 'new' battery is a refurbished battery that really is essentially the same as an 8 year old battery
That's so goofy of them to do. I guess they really need clicks. I wouldn't trust Tesla to keep that program even if they did bring it back since they discontinued it before. It's a shame.

I just read a thread that Tesla quit making ludicrous compatible battery packs for the p85dl. Is that true? It says they only have the 350v not the original 400v now so it won't be as fast when the battery needs replacing. If that's the case I don't think it'd make sense to buy one with ludicrous when you're eventually going to lose it when the battery craps out.

I'm not sure if that's true (not making 85kwh packs), but a software limited 90kwh pack would be ludicrous capable and could be installed in place of the original battery. They would just software cap it or offer to unlock the full capacity for a fee. The P90D also had a Ludicrous option.

I'm not sure if that's true (not making 85kwh packs), but a software limited 90kwh pack would be ludicrous capable and could be installed in place of the original battery. They would just software cap it or offer to unlock the full capacity for a fee. The P90D also had a Ludicrous option.
I'm new to this so if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about I don't. I just read that the old packs with ludicrous is a 400V battery pack x 1500A fuse = 600 kW. New packs are 350V X 1500A = 525 kW if using the same fuse and the guy on this forum was complaining that Tesla wouldn't say what fuse he had so if they're using the same fuse then it's slower but does the 90D battery makeup for that 75k KW loss? Again I'm clueless on these cars.

This thread?

Seems like the 350V pack is capable of 1600A which is 560kw. Still shy of 600kw, but even with Ludicrous mode enabled, the car never drew that much power. It was closer to 400kw.

Makes me want to hook up my diagnostic cable to my P85D again and check its voltage at 100%.

This thread?

Seems like the 350V pack is capable of 1600A which is 560kw. Still shy of 600kw, but even with Ludicrous mode enabled, the car never drew that much power. It was closer to 400kw.

Makes me want to hook up my diagnostic cable to my P85D again and check its voltage at 100%.
Yes that one. I plan on keeping a Tesla for awhile if I get one so the idea of them reducing the hp bothers me. Do you know what exactly is different in the new packs that changes the voltage? Is it the modules or something else? Wondering if someone's battery went out if they could just replace the modules and keep the same voltage. I might be crazy enough to dig into them like rich rebuilds. I've restored a lot of cars before.