Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on P85D+ Upgrade vs. P100D or Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2014 P85D with the plus suspension and are contemplating upgrading the battery pack to a P100D. Cost looks like it would be about $25k. We'd get to keep the free unlimited supercharging, premium connectivity, etc.

Net cost to swap out for as-built P100D would maybe be $35k after we sell the P85D. Might be a little hard to find one with free unlimited supercharging. And, buying a new Plaid would likely run $100k, and we could transfer our free unlimited supercharging.

Curious if anyone had thoughts on value/benefits among the options?

The P85D with the plus suspension handled better than the P100D when we bought it, so the battery pack upgrade that's now available is intriguing instead of buying an as-built P100D. Not sure if the newer models (like the Plaid) handle as well, or if the "plus" suspension is still really worth keeping.

I just upgraded from a 2018 P100D to a Plaid and transferred the FUSC. There are definitely some pros and cons to the upgrade. For me, here was my list

Cons
-Lost sunroof
-Lost premium connectivity for life
-Lost hardware proximity sensors (con for now until Tesla Vision becomes more reliable)
- Lost Summon/Smart Summon for now...it never worked reliably on the P100 D anyways
- Lost Auto Park (for now)

Pros
-1000 HP...wow. Its a dramatic shift especially at freeway speeds
- In my view, the car handles much better than the P100 D...more athletic
- The suspension is completely customizable which I think you would appreciate even more over the P85D
- The screens are more vibrant and way more responsive and I had MCU2 on the P100 D
- Ventilated Seats is a plus in AZ
- The new interior is much nicer and there is actual usable storage (for items like sunglasses...etc)
- I like the new AC vents controlled by screen
- Stereo is much better
- While I lost the sunroof, I love the panoramic glass roof.

If it were me, I would upgrade to the Plaid because you are putting $25k into something that has little to no value on resale. Plus, the Plaid prices are $89k which is over $40k of their peak. That is my $.02

Reactions: byeLT4