Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any code regulation for ISP wiring installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went through the installation of an ESV plug in the garage of my building.
To get the permit authorization you had to follow the National Electrical Code (NEC).
In particular, all the wires must be put inside a conduit, and so on.
Sample of ESVE Permit

Well, recently, a new tenant of the building had an Internet line installed by the ISP Sonic,
and the landlord recently contacted me as he was not happy about the work done.

So far Comcast has been used to provide cable TV and Internet connections.
The job was kind of professionally made. There was a connection box inside the garage
and then each apartment had its own wire hidden inside an conduit on the outside of the building wall.

With Sonic, the wire is running directly on the top edge of the roof and on each outside wall.
Honestly, this is not very clean, and if the roof needs to be replaced, the whole Sonic installation will have to be tear down.

I think that a cleaner installation would be to install the wirings inside the building instead of outside.
Using the elevator shaft to pass the cables between each floor and running the wires under the ceiling.
Well, here are some pictures of the installation, I let you judge.

- So do you think that there is a way to make a better and cleaner job?

SO01.jpg

SO03.jpg

SO04.jpg

Thats pretty rough looking. Is that an apartment with multiple users?
It's a 1990 multi units condominium building.

The Sonic installation is really an eyesore.
This would be even worse when additional cables will be installed for other tenants.
While all the electrical power, phone lines, and cable TV are buried inside a trench.

The cable used by Sonic is very small in diameter, like an USB cable.
I don't think that it would be that expensive to use an 1/2 inch PVC conduit which can be buried
and could run along the building walls and not on the roof edge.

I just wonder if there is any code to inforce to make the installation as less noticeable as possible.
And also I wonder how reliable it is to have a cable exposed to the sun and the rain.

southwire-conduit-55094221-64_1000.jpg

Their is low voltage code and licenses. I'm not sure if all areas are required to follow code though. Code doesn't mean that it has to be pretty. Following high-voltage code, you could have completely replaced the little wire with conduit and it would look even uglier.

Cable installers, especially in buildings that didn't have centralized solutions in place, often have to take routes that are ugly as anything.
But cable installers, often contractors, are often paid per call. Getting in and out as quickly as possible means that you run cable as simply as possible.