Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to make the rear seatbelt easier to use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway to make the rear seatbelt easier to use.? It is almost impossible to hook up the rear belts properly.
Presuming you are talking about the recessed buckles, some people buy belt extenders (you can find other threads discussing this, like below), but it's not legal here in California and compromises the safety of the whole seat belt system (in other threads, people posted examples of people dying because the extender failed in other cars).
Rear seatbelt buckles issues
Model 3 with kids

The only other idea I found were buckle holders, but almost all of them are not compatible with recessed belts. The following is the only one I found that claims work with recessed belts, but not sure if it would work with Tesla's given it is very tight (looks like plastic is too thick).
Mini LulaBloc Booster Seat Buckle Set- For recessed buckles
I couldn't find a source selling on Amazon, so I will probably try to figure out a DIY solution when I have the chance. The general idea is to angle the buckle upwards (and try to prevent buckle from recessing further than it already is).

I have seat covers on mine which probably makes things worse, but after adjusting my covers a bit, the one on the passenger side (which is next to center seat buckle) works fine. The one on the driver side is still very hard to buckle (have to angle it perfectly and click hard). The issue is the buckle is too recessed and angled forward, so the part of the tongue nearer to the front of the car has to push hard against the seat.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I get my extensions from seatbeltextenderpros.com (I have no affiliation with this company, other than being a satisfied customer.)

Their Buckle Booster products (they have two types available) might work for you (and it's only $8.) It doesn't extend the buckle (so no added potential point of failure) but helps it to sit upright and not go any "deeper" into the seat.