Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear right seat buckle won't latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a passenger in my car in the rear seat. He kept having problems with the seatbelt, when I checked it it wouldn't buckle so I made a service ticket. and now Tesla estimated it to be 174$ for something that isn't even my fault. is there a way to protest this?

I had a passenger in my car in the rear seat. He kept having problems with the seatbelt, when I checked it it wouldn't buckle so I made a service ticket. and now Tesla estimated it to be 174$ for something that isn't even my fault. is there a way to protest this?
If the car is still under warranty, Tesla's estimate doesn't take that into account. When they actually do it they then waive the fee. I think they're covering themselves if they discover that the problem is due to something the owner did. For instance in this case, if they discover something other than the seatbelt got jammed in the buckle.

Assuming it’s a product defect. Pretty simple question.

Is the car under warranty?
  • If yes, it’s covered.
  • If no, you’ll need to pay for repairs.

Last edited:
Nope, but it's weird how you have to pay for safety equipment that should always be working.
From a devil's advocate standpoint, maybe some debris got into the buckle or if there was a previous owner you have no idea if that buckle got messed with. That kind of a pure mechanical failure is extremely rare so it seems more likely that there is some other factor involved.

That said, if there is a systemic problem there will eventually be an actual recall and it would be covered even if the car is out of warranty, but it takes time for enough complaints to become a recall. You could look into just buying the part and replacing yourself if the cost is a problem.