Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anywhere a first drive guide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a sticky, post or anything describing the walk through a buyer should go through on delivery? I ask because I'll be 54 miles away from a service center and would like to go through a practice session of simple things like the functions that are on the stalks of an old school car.

I assume I can get help at the delivery center with simple things like mirror and steering wheel and can read the owner's manual via d/l or on the screen at my leisure once home. I've picked up new cars as much as 250 miles from home and driven off the lot in 5 minutes with no more that "enter my home address into the GPS' and off I go at night through heavy DC area traffic but the uniqueness of the Model 3 has me concerned that I can't do necessary things without practice in the midst of the congestion and speeds I'll be driving home in.

Don’t think I’ve seen anything other than the get acquainted with Model 3 videos you should probably watch before hand. We already had an MS so didn’t feel total unaware of what to expect but given how it’s different from many people’s ICE vehicles they are replacing with their new Model 3 I can understand why you asked.

Since we had only briefly driven a Model 3 before hand, we spent about 10 minutes in an empty parking lot near the Delivery center and checked out things. Drove around the lot while “trying out” settings/features and where they were accessed on the car. Left when we felt comfortable with it. Good to do anyway before heading out to make sure the turn signals work (a few people had turn stalk issues at delivery), the wipers have fluid and work and you know where the controls are and understand the speed settings. We basically went through the control settings to see what/where everything was. We left creep off. We have regen set to standard which compared to our MS seems pretty tame to us but maybe not to a first time EV driver. Do get acquainted with using regen to brake ahead of time. Also be aware that in cold weather or at full battery capacity or near it, the regen won’t be available or will be weak so you’ll want to know you’ll be relying on the regular brakes until the battery warms up or you’ve driven a while.

I think we had our lights set to auto so we wouldn’t be needing to turn them on in the beginning (still leave them that way). If you have EAP and want to use Autopilot for TACC on the way home on the freeway (not meant for street driving), get familiar with accessing it. Didn’t take us long to have the car calibrated to be able to use it. Try out the regular brakes as well. Check your charge range to see if you will need to stop before making it home. Set your navigation to your home for the trip there. And if you have a long drive I’d try to make sure while at the delivery center if you can try out using the charger in your charge port.

You might also want to check out a few radio/streaming channels ahead of time for your drive home. Don’t want to be fumbling with something to listen to. Another useful feature is activating the Brake on Hold. Learn the icon for when it’s activated. If you are sitting in traffic or at a drive thru it will stop your car from rolling. Not a replacement for Park however.

Have them connect your phone and pair it if you can before driving off. Keep your key card with you at all times should your phone not connect and you can’t get access. Don’t leave it in the car. BTW the phone can lock and unlock the car when in range and if set to Walk Away Lock will do so upon exit. Cell strength and coverage can be spotty and some people have no problems using their phones for access while others aren’t always successful. I also have my car set to Audible signal when it does so I know it locks. Do know however that if you use the key card to gain access, it will NOT auto lock on walk away even if setting is enabled in the controls. You’ll need to use the card on the B pillar. Mine works best about an inch lower than the cut out for the B pillar camera BTW.

It’s a great car to drive. Sure you will enjoy it. :D

The Model 3 Support videos can be found here:
Model 3 Support Videos | Tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: TD_alseT and LoveEV