Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there no way to reset your car if the center panel stops working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got auto-upgraded to 2019.16.2. After that my center panel has been dead, and my car is very sluggish when I start it up - it tries for several minutes to "warm up" and then eventually starts.

I can't use the center panel to factory reset the car, because it's black and blank. Is there any other way to do this? I'm scheduled for service next week but I'd prefer to fix it now. Plus I'm just past out of warranty of course.

My car had this issue as well. Not only was the center screen black, the car continued to run the air conditioning after I exited the car. It was a problem and I could not turn it off. I was able to get it to reboot by holding the steering wheel buttons, but it took much longer than 10 seconds. My car is a 2013 MS85 and this issue happened right after the software update 2019.20.2.1

My car had this issue as well. Not only was the center screen black, the car continued to run the air conditioning after I exited the car. It was a problem and I could not turn it off. I was able to get it to reboot by holding the steering wheel buttons, but it took much longer than 10 seconds. My car is a 2013 MS85 and this issue happened right after the software update 2019.20.2.1

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me, both parts. I have a 2015 s and the ac also runs endlessly. Will try long term button press.i'm so frustrated at being stuck.

You can depower the center console by pulling a fuse under the hood.

Then stick the fuse back in. Fresh boot.

I think it's fuse #51 but don't quote me on that, look it up for your car. Mine is first gen RWD car... so things probably changed since.

Here's a tip too... when I'm parked in garage at home I always pop my frunk open. For other reasons.. but also, in case there's a problem with the console or whatever you never know if you'll have access to the car controls on the UI to pop the hood and all the fuses are under there.

If the frunk is already popped can get access to all the electrics ...

The other reason I keep my frunk lid popped is so I can add things to the car easily, for my next trip.

Otherwise, I need to find my fob, and unlock the car... because no matter what settings you pick on the car... console the model S WILL ALWAYS LOCK itself again when left alone.

I hate when Tesla made that change on model S. It used to stay open when unlocked.

Model 3 behaves differently, if you unlock it using the card key, the car will remain unlocked forever.

I wish they left model S alone in that regard.

The other reason I keep my frunk lid popped is so I can add things to the car easily, for my next trip.

Otherwise, I need to find my fob, and unlock the car... because no matter what settings you pick on the car... console the model S WILL ALWAYS LOCK itself again when left alone.

I hate when Tesla made that change on model S. It used to stay open when unlocked.

Model 3 behaves differently, if you unlock it using the card key, the car will remain unlocked forever.

I wish they left model S alone in that regard.

My model s did not lock itself. There was a setting for this. You can set lock automatically or not.

My model s did not lock itself. There was a setting for this. You can set lock automatically or not.

Please tell me what version of s/w you're on...

And detail the process where you can set car to remain unlocked, and it does. Even when the key leaves the area.

I want to repeat your findings on my car. Also, I am in Canada and Tesla may have localized the cars for different countries / markets... so it could be that getting in the way for me.

THANK YOU!

When this happens to me. I get out of the car and wait for it to shut off (e.g. lock). Then I go back in and press and hold the two scroll wheels. This has always resulted in success.

Please tell me what version of s/w you're on...

And detail the process where you can set car to remain unlocked, and it does. Even when the key leaves the area.

I want to repeat your findings on my car. Also, I am in Canada and Tesla may have localized the cars for different countries / markets... so it could be that getting in the way for me.

THANK YOU!
I have a 2015 s85d. There was a setting that was something like autolock when you walk away y/n. So it never autolocked once I set that. Since my center panel doesn't work right now I can't look up the setting. It's been this way for a long time, a year plus if not 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: scottm