Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there space under the floor? Weird rattle, can't figure it out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experiencing a rattle/noise that's driving us nuts. It's something like a fastener that is loose and rolling around. It sounds almost exactly like a screw or nut or something rolling around on a rubber or plastic mat and when we found an Advil on the rear winter mat we were thrilled BUT that turned out not to be it....

So far we have removed all the mats from the car, removed the backseat (interesting!), removed the trunk trim, all items in any door bin, glovebox, storage compartments etc. Fastened the seatbelts to make sure it wasn't them hitting something. Had our kid ride in the trunk and me lay on the rear floor trying to isolate it.

And yet the noise persists. First when making a left turn until it hits something and stops and then when you make a right turn or accelerate or brake. And then the other way. It's some small thing that is rolling around somewhere and so far we've isolated it to about the passenger side floor area somewhere in the middle-ish of the car front to back, so not in the front footwell but more under the front seat or the rear passenger footwell.

No it is not in the frunk or the bin in the cargo area or the side bins, it's under the seats somewhere.

So, is there a false floor under the carpet that something could be under that? The noise is not something ON the carpet but it sounds like the item can roll for about a foot or so. The service center is about an hour away and kind of a hassle for something they may not replicate... Help me, Obi-Y-Forum, you're my only hope.

I'm experiencing a rattle/noise that's driving us nuts. It's something like a fastener that is loose and rolling around. It sounds almost exactly like a screw or nut or something rolling around on a rubber or plastic mat and when we found an Advil on the rear winter mat we were thrilled BUT that turned out not to be it....

So far we have removed all the mats from the car, removed the backseat (interesting!), removed the trunk trim, all items in any door bin, glovebox, storage compartments etc. Fastened the seatbelts to make sure it wasn't them hitting something. Had our kid ride in the trunk and me lay on the rear floor trying to isolate it.

And yet the noise persists. First when making a left turn until it hits something and stops and then when you make a right turn or accelerate or brake. And then the other way. It's some small thing that is rolling around somewhere and so far we've isolated it to about the passenger side floor area somewhere in the middle-ish of the car front to back, so not in the front footwell but more under the front seat or the rear passenger footwell.

No it is not in the frunk or the bin in the cargo area or the side bins, it's under the seats somewhere.

So, is there a false floor under the carpet that something could be under that? The noise is not something ON the carpet but it sounds like the item can roll for about a foot or so. The service center is about an hour away and kind of a hassle for something they may not replicate... Help me, Obi-Y-Forum, you're my only hope.
Dude.. it sounds like one of cells in the battery pack came out of the mold! Create a support ticket.

Could an Advil or something else fallen into one of the air ducts under the front seats? If so there is a thread on vent covers. Take a look at this page, it's not a solution now, but it may give you a place to look. In particular look at the Tesla part catalog picture with the S curve in the duct.

Does the Model Y need this grill?

Last edited:
Could an Advil or something else fallen into one of the air ducts under the front seats? If so there is a thread on vent covers. Take a look at this page, it's not a solution now, but it may give you a place to look. In particular look at the Tesla part catalog picture with the S curve in the duct.

That's got to be it, thank you! I just ordered the grilles from Etsy but now need to disassemble the interior to get the Advil or whatever it is. I'll probably try a shopvac or something first. Maybe a coathanger with sticky stuff on it to wedge down there and try to Venus Flytrap it?

Ugh. But thank you very much!

That's got to be it, thank you! I just ordered the grilles from Etsy but now need to disassemble the interior to get the Advil or whatever it is. I'll probably try a shopvac or something first. Maybe a coathanger with sticky stuff on it to wedge down there and try to Venus Flytrap it?

Before going the route with dissembling the interior. Have you considered getting a endoscope to confirm which vent duct it’s in. It’s fairly “cheap” and I’d hate for you to remove the driver side when in actually it’s in the passenger side or vice versa.

Not to disagree with out resident expert but i would try parking on a steep grade nose up to see if it comes closer to the opening. By the part diagram, it seems that the air flow comes from under the console and splits. So if possible try a gentle tilt to help the movement. Then try the easier DIY strategies. If they don't work, then an endoscopic exam might make sense as I am just guessing and could easily be wrong. I don't know if Halpm3Pleas3 has any specific recommendations but their are USB endoscopes that you can attach to a phone, laptop etc available on the internet for under $20.

Last edited:
SOLVED! We isolated the noise to the front passenger area and then I tried the backing up fast and hitting the brakes trick, no dice, nor did the coathanger with a gob of sticky tape on the end work. So I broke out the T45 bit, removed the four seat bolts, tilted it back, pulled the lower door trim off as well as the side of the console trim panel (they pop off easily with light pressure). Then pulling the carpet up by removing two push pins (you have to carefully pull the head back from the body and they release) makes most of it come up although it's attached via glue to thick styrofoam panels underneath. One part of the carpet was held in by the center console and not releasable for me without removing that which I didn't want to do. In any case, lifting the carpet and the foam (the trick is to work it a bit from the front under the glovebox a bit lets you pull the vent apart, alas there was nothing in it! So with everything disassembled and the seat lightly tilted back and resting on the back seat I drove around and heard the noise again. Then basically it came down to lifting the carpet and styrofoam as much as possible and with my hand and fingers probing every nook and cranny of the metal floor and around the wire bundles, I eventually came up with...a yellow jellybean while stopped on a sidestreet after hearing the noise!

As the manuals say, reassembly is the reverse of disassembly and that's how it all worked out. It only took about ten minutes to put it all back together snugly and it all looks like new. And no more noise. Nobody in the family will fess up in regards to the jellybean though, hmm. Thinking about it I don't think it actually did go in the vent, I think it went NEXT to it (the carpet doesn't fit that snugly around the vent) and that way got in the underfloor (under carpet and styrofoam) portion. I was very careful lifting the vent out and didn't hear it drop out. But who really knows...In any case it's not difficult to disassemble this stuff, just needs patience and a soft touch. Total time spent about an hour and a half, that's slightly more than just getting to the service center for me to say nothing of the wait, return trip, and whatever charges.

Thank you for everyone's input!

SOLVED! We isolated the noise to the front passenger area and then I tried the backing up fast and hitting the brakes trick, no dice, nor did the coathanger with a gob of sticky tape on the end work. So I broke out the T45 bit, removed the four seat bolts, tilted it back, pulled the lower door trim off as well as the side of the console trim panel (they pop off easily with light pressure). Then pulling the carpet up by removing two push pins (you have to carefully pull the head back from the body and they release) makes most of it come up although it's attached via glue to thick styrofoam panels underneath. One part of the carpet was held in by the center console and not releasable for me without removing that which I didn't want to do. In any case, lifting the carpet and the foam (the trick is to work it a bit from the front under the glovebox a bit lets you pull the vent apart, alas there was nothing in it! So with everything disassembled and the seat lightly tilted back and resting on the back seat I drove around and heard the noise again. Then basically it came down to lifting the carpet and styrofoam as much as possible and with my hand and fingers probing every nook and cranny of the metal floor and around the wire bundles, I eventually came up with...a yellow jellybean while stopped on a sidestreet after hearing the noise!

As the manuals say, reassembly is the reverse of disassembly and that's how it all worked out. It only took about ten minutes to put it all back together snugly and it all looks like new. And no more noise. Nobody in the family will fess up in regards to the jellybean though, hmm. Thinking about it I don't think it actually did go in the vent, I think it went NEXT to it (the carpet doesn't fit that snugly around the vent) and that way got in the underfloor (under carpet and styrofoam) portion. I was very careful lifting the vent out and didn't hear it drop out. But who really knows...In any case it's not difficult to disassemble this stuff, just needs patience and a soft touch. Total time spent about an hour and a half, that's slightly more than just getting to the service center for me to say nothing of the wait, return trip, and whatever charges.

Thank you for everyone's input!
I am glad this worked out for you. I probably would have been too afraid to disassemble it myself.

Reactions: Halpm3Pleas3