Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a 10-30 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on ordering a standard model 3 very soon. We have this outlet in our garage, and just basing it on the photo I think it's a 10-30, but I am not sure. Is this safe to use? My other option is a regular outlet. Thank you.

IMG_20220505_191644.jpg

I highly doubt it would be "thousands" to run new wiring. Especially if the inside of your garage has all of the wires exposed. You just have to run the wires up above the beams and then back down. If the electricians have to run wires from the other side of the house then that's when I'd expect costs in the thousands.
Okay I'm doing my best to understand you guys. This is all very new to me and I'm still learning. I think I might of misunderstood you.

Upvote 0
Well the cheap and easy way would be to replace that outlet with a junction box and run a little extra wire in conduit (or even MC cable to make it really easy) to where you want it. And wire nut the new and old wires together in the junction box. If it's really only 10 feet away, you're talking about $50 or less in materials.
I'll have to research it some more to get a better understanding. Thank you for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
It's perfectly possible to use the outlet box you have as a junction box, and extend the circuit to place the outlet where it's actually needed. A much better solution than an extension cord. I think, at this point, you're ready to get some quotes for having work done.
Thanks Dave. I've never really been the handy man type (failed woodshop in highschool), but i will do my research and see what I can do. If it seems too dangerous, or if I don't feel comfortable doing it, I'll contact an electrician.

Upvote 0
It looks like you have open studs around the outlet, if you could possibly extend that outlet 6' in the appropriate direction (and where 10' would not do).
While the Wall Connector is $200 more than the Mobile Connector, you'd not need a new 10-30 outlet...

Well the cheap and easy way would be to replace that outlet with a junction box and run a little extra wire...
I concur with these folks. Just replace the outlet with a blank cover plate and junction in a new segment of wire to wherever you need it. But there is a small catch - you don't have a ground wire so it would be very unwise to simply junction Romex cable from that circuit. So your options are:

- Run individual strands of red/black/white THHN in conduit to your relocated outlet. This can be flex conduit or metal clad (MC) cable.
- Add a ground and run 8/3 Romex stapled to the rafters but inside conduit in the walls.
- Move your white neutral wire over to the ground bus in your panel and then junction 8/2 Romex to where you need it. This still requires conduit for the walls and should only be used with a 6-30 outlet or a Wall Connector, not a 10-30 or 14-30 outlet.

That 3rd option is my recommendation along with a Wall Connector instead of a mobile charger. The Wall Connector is a much better system, you just screw it to the wall and run your conduit right into it - way better than messing around with outlets, boxes, covers, adapters, cord hooks, charger cradles, etc.

Lastly, there's not much in this panel and as @RayK mentioned, two of your 240V breakers appear to be unused. Is it a subpanel? Why is your 10-30 wiring capped off like that when there seems to be empty breakers and possibly even space for more breakers at the bottom?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Thanks Dave. I've never really been the handy man type (failed woodshop in highschool), but i will do my research and see what I can do. If it seems too dangerous, or if I don't feel comfortable doing it, I'll contact an electrician.
I was suggesting you get quotes from electricians. At this point, you have a decent idea of your options, and should be able to evaluate their suggestions.

Upvote 0
I concur with these folks. Just replace the outlet with a blank cover plate and junction in a new segment of wire to wherever you need it. But there is a small catch - you don't have a ground wire so it would be very unwise to simply junction Romex cable from that circuit. So your options are:

- Run individual strands of red/black/white THHN in conduit to your relocated outlet. This can be flex conduit or metal clad (MC) cable.
- Add a ground and run 8/3 Romex stapled to the rafters but inside conduit in the walls.
- Move your white neutral wire over to the ground bus in your panel and then junction 8/2 Romex to where you need it. This still requires conduit for the walls and should only be used with a 6-30 outlet or a Wall Connector, not a 10-30 or 14-30 outlet.

That 3rd option is my recommendation along with a Wall Connector instead of a mobile charger. The Wall Connector is a much better system, you just screw it to the wall and run your conduit right into it - way better than messing around with outlets, boxes, covers, adapters, cord hooks, charger cradles, etc.

Lastly, there's not much in this panel and as @RayK mentioned, two of your 240V breakers appear to be unused. Is it a subpanel? Why is your 10-30 wiring capped off like that when there seems to be empty breakers and possibly even space for more breakers at the bottom?
I'm not sure about the empty space at the bottom. My brother said that's how it was when he bought the home in the 90s.
From my understanding, the 10-30 wires got capped off last year when my brother decided to upgrade the air conditioner. So the black wires going into the second breaker are for the AC. The electrician also installed like a small electric box, not sure what it's called. I can take pictures after work. As far as the unused breakers, are you talking about the 1st and 3rd breaker? I'm not too sure honestly, I'll have to ask my brother when I get home.

Upvote 0