Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this actually Ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here's a case - a Toyota dealer gets a Tesla in on a trade, 1 owner. they clean up the car, and sell it used. never passed thru Tesla's possession. would you expect the FUSC to pass to the new owner?

same question, but going thru a used car lot where it's not a [brand XYZ] dealership, and never thru Tesla's possession. would you expect the FUSC to pass to the new owner?

There are those that claimed that they know for sure the car was never back in Tesla's possession but they still lost FUSC anyways.

"Tesla also occasionally strips the Free Unlimited Supercharging promotion from 3rd party dealership sales. Even if the Model S or Model X has kept Free Unlimited Supercharging in the past, Tesla may remove the option upon the transfer of the vehicle between private parties if a dealership has at some point been involved or if the vehicle has been up for auction. However, some Tesla-informed dealerships claim that this occurrence is rare and report that transfer-eligible Teslas sold through them have had no problems in transferring Free Unlimited Supercharging to the next owner."

Delightfully adding uncertainty!

"Tesla also occasionally strips the Free Unlimited Supercharging promotion from 3rd party dealership sales. Even if the Model S or Model X has kept Free Unlimited Supercharging in the past, Tesla may remove the option upon the transfer of the vehicle between private parties if a dealership has at some point been involved or if the vehicle has been up for auction. However, some Tesla-informed dealerships claim that this occurrence is rare and report that transfer-eligible Teslas sold through them have had no problems in transferring Free Unlimited Supercharging to the next owner."

Delightfully adding uncertainty!

The bigger uncertainty is buying an older tesla that has zero battery warranty. If the battery had just been replaced in the last year or so and had some of it's warranty left, that might be a mitigating factor. If your battery dies, you're looking at a $22K replacement for new or $11K replacement for refurb. The refurb route is likely to be a rinse and repeat affair. Same concerns over the drive units as they tend to run about $10K each.

A 2021 refresh for $50K will leave you years of worry free battery and drive unit warranty plus some bumper to bumper warranty to handle those hidden problems that you don't know about until after your purchase (provided you get one that has less than 50K miles).

If you're a super high mileage driver, then the 2019 in the $40K range is the last year they had unlimited mileage battery and drive unit warranty but you're looking at about 4 years of warranty on those. Note that a plain old 100D is nearly as fast as a P90DL and has a lot more range and MCU 2 among other benefits.

The 2021s seemed to have taken the biggest price hit recently because they are the current model that dropped in price $40K in MSRP last year. It it were me, I'd stretch to get a clean 2021.

i'm much more of a edit: cheaper date of a car shopper than you give me credit for sir. priority is 1. timing and 2. the least cost per mile of usage. I hypothesize that FUSC savings breaks even with maintenance costs (battery, DU, etc) and allows capital expenditures over time. imagine not having to finance repairs now that may never be necessary (necessary for the time of my ownership, at least) - so FUSC is either financing future maintenance, or will net me a lot less over all cost of ownership. also, less financing upfront is appealing bc interest rates are high at the moment.

I have other toys (and mainly real estate) that are cash and / or financing intensive, so spending or financing more upfront actually complicates the higher priority items in my life.

or another way to put it is worrying turns a $27k ish problem into a $50k problem, and there's no guarantee that the 2021 car will be problem free either. but, I can guarantee that it won't have FUSC, and will have a higher payment.

Last edited:
i'm much more of a edit: cheaper date of a car shopper than you give me credit for sir. priority is 1. timing and 2. the least cost per mile of usage. I hypothesize that FUSC savings breaks even with maintenance costs (battery, DU, etc) and allows capital expenditures over time. imagine not having to finance repairs now that may never be necessary (necessary for the time of my ownership, at least) - so FUSC is either financing future maintenance, or will net me a lot less over all cost of ownership. also, less financing upfront is appealing bc interest rates are high at the moment.

I have other toys (and mainly real estate) that are cash and / or financing intensive, so spending or financing more upfront actually complicates the higher priority items in my life.

or another way to put it is worrying turns a $27k ish problem into a $50k problem, and there's no guarantee that the 2021 car will be problem free either. but, I can guarantee that it won't have FUSC, and will have a higher payment.

If this were a Toyota, that kind of thinking makes sense. I think there's a very good chance that a 2015 Model S will cost you more than a newer one in the long run. My 2009 Prius, which I bought new, has served me well for 15 years and 328K repair free miles. I'd never keep a Tesla past the battery warranty. Its not a matter of if, but when you'll need to pay for a battery or drive unit replacement. If you continue this course, you should pick and older S where you can verify the battery and DUs were replaced in the last few years.