Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is This Feasible/ Practical

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I currently use mobile connector with NEMA 14-50 adapter plugged into NEMA 14-50 receptacle with 50 A breaker. I know one isn’t supposed to unplug the adapter from the 15-40 receptacle often, but can you frequently disconnect the mobile connector from the adapter. The reason I ask is that rather than buying a separate mobile connect and 14-50 adapter to take with on road trips, why not just disconnect the mobile connector from the 14-50 adapter, leaving adapter plugged in (turning off breaker of course) and take the mobile connector with you on road trip, along with an extra 14-50 adapter (a minimal $45 cost). Then when you return home, reconnect mobile connector to already plugged in 14-50 adapter and turn breaker back on. This seems a lot less expensive than buying a separate 14-50 adapter and mobile connector to always have in car. Is this a reasonable approach?

That seems to be the very strong pov of the members of this forum. Has to do with weakening the innards of the 14-50 receptacle.
Apparently there are cheap-quality outlets that are designed to be plugged once and left alone, and industrial-quality outlets that can handle repeated plug-unplug cycles. This thread seems to have some good info: Nema 14-50 frequent unplug and replug

In my case the driveway is in a location where an unattended cable is likely to get stolen. I actually did have my UMC stolen once, when the car didn't auto-lock. So for me, leaving the cable (and/or the adapter) plugged in 24/7 is unfortunately not a viable option.

Last edited:
Reactions: kc1953
Apparently there are cheap-quality outlets that are designed to be plugged once and left alone, and industrial-quality outlets that can handle repeated plug-unplug cycles. This thread seems to have some good info: Nema 14-50 frequent unplug and replug

In my case the driveway is in a location where an unattended cable is likely to get stolen. I actually did have my UMC stolen once, when the car didn't auto-lock. So for me, leaving the cable (and/or the adapter) plugged in 24/7 is unfortunately not a viable option.
Fortunately for me, my charging infrastructure is in garage. Quite frankly, since I don’t plan to travel to rv parks or to air BnBs, I really can‘t imagine needing to carry mobile connector around in car. When traveling, superchargers, Tesla destination chargers, and other level 2 chargers using j1772 adapter seem to cover the bases pretty well.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Ben W
Is this a reasonable approach?

Sure, if you feel you need the adapter with you. I thought I needed that too, which is one reason I got a wall connector back in 2018 instead of using the mobile connector. That was only one of the reasons, but it was one I used to justify the expense to myself at the time (2018).

I can tell you that I have been rolling around with the mobile connector in my trunk, and have used it only, maybe 4-5 times over 3 years, and never in a time when I didnt know I was going to want to use it (charging at mother in laws house after a trip there, for example).

Even then, it was connected with the simple 5-15 adapter because when I got my model 3 in 2018 they gave you the entire nema bundle.

TL ; DR. your plan would certainly work, but you will also likely find out that you dont really need the mobile adapter in the trunk. What you need to have with you, unless you travel a lot, is the J1772 adapter (I use this frequently, and keep it in my glove compartment).

YMMV of course, but you likely wont need it like you think you will.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sure, if you feel you need the adapter with you. I thought I needed that too, which is one reason I got a wall connector back in 2018 instead of using the mobile connector. That was only one of the reasons, but it was one I used to justify the expense to myself at the time (2018).

I can tell you that I have been rolling around with the mobile connector in my trunk, and have used it only, maybe 4-5 times over 3 years, and never in a time when I didnt know I was going to want to use it (charging at mother in laws house after a trip there, for example).

Even then, it was connected with the simple 5-15 adapter because when I got my model 3 in 2018 they gave you the entire nema bundle.

TL ; DR. your plan would certainly work, but you will also likely find out that you dont really need the mobile adapter in the trunk. What you need to have with you, unless you travel a lot, is the J1772 adapter (I use this frequently, and keep it in my glove compartment).

YMMV of course, but you likely wont need it like you think you will.
I have come to that same conclusion. Superchargers, Tesla destination chargers and other level 2 using j1772 adapter should be more than adequate for trips. Thanks!

Reactions: Rocky_H