Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this speed typical? FAST.com on WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone needs to remember a few things. Just because it says and uses LTE does not mean it will go at the same speed as your phone’s LTE. Teslas are throttled by the provider, this is based on the contract terms Tesla set with them. The car doesn’t need much more than 10mbps it so (give or take on a good day) because it just needs to stream music at 64k and have enough room left to pull down map data. They send their telemetry over the LTE also but that isn’t mission critical and can wait to be sent when idle or when connected to WiFi.

So, I had a few free minutes while waiting for my daughter to get out of the cinema, and I spent them experimenting with fast.com
I was parked, and my mobile phone on LTE was showing 66 Mbps (pic 1)
At the same time, my Tesla on LTE was showing 13 Mbps (pic 2)
So I started the WiFi hotspot on my mobile phone, connected the Tesla to it via WiFi, and checked again: result was 2.8 Mbps (pic 3) !!!!

I do not understand what's going on, I was expecting the car connected through the phone WiFi to be FASTER than via LTE !!
Anyone with a good explanation?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 37