TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this speed typical? FAST.com on WiFi

Discussion in 'Model S' started by quickstrike12, Nov 3, 2018.

1. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

I have been fooling around lately trying to figure out why my slacker streaming audio is skipping and stuttering and I was troubleshooting the data speed into the car.
    Long story short I can run FAST.com on the car browser on WiFi (router 5 feet away) and get 8.0 mgb down.
    Then the phone next and it gets 110 mgb down.

I don’t expect the same throughout as iPhone but seems pretty low.
    Is this typical ?

Attached Files:

2. AustinP

AustinP Member

I have about the same performance (7.6 mgb) with my 2015 AP1.

3. David.85D

David.85D Member

7-8 Mbps ought to be sufficient. There was a time last year when it was really bad (buffering and dropping) and I was seeing speeds below 100 kbps on fast.com for the car. That was a network issue Tesla finally resolved.

4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Varies wildly depending on LTE signal obviously, but just tested it since I’m in the car waiting on an appointment and got 11 Mbps. Not bad.

5. David.85D

David.85D Member

Do you have trouble streaming while connected to WiFi or just on cell data while away from home? I never had trouble while connected to WiFi

6. Ande

Ande Member

The car uses VPN for security.... In any case, not equvaequiv test.

• Like x 1
  7. selfbp

selfbp Member

Yes. It’s correct. Never seen any Tesla with much better. Mine usually stays around 3mbps sadly. Relies on Tesla VPN passthrough speed

8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Why VPN? What benefits would it bring through the browser?

9. Ande

Ande Member

Privacy.
    Of course, that could be optional for the browser as the privacy goes out the window if someone log on to Facebook anyway.

10. .jg.

.jg. Member

Security. Whether on cellular or WiFi, the car (not just the browser) connects only to Tesla via VPN - no other connections are allowed, to or from the car. Once the car's connection reaches Tesla, Tesla can decide how and to where the browser and other apps can connect and what connections may be made with the car (back through the VPN) e.g. the Tesla mobile app.

In addition to the security aspect, it may be that the "only VPN connections with Tesla" constraint may be part of Tesla's deals with cellular providers in the different regions.

11. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

That’s as good as a explanation as I’ve heard. So yeah maybe so.
    Regardless it’s disappointing it’s like this.
    I have 100 down 100 up or so.
    My buddy has gigabit something like 800 down and up.
    And he shows speeds on car of 3.0. While on the WiFi

12. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

I don’t see the need for a VPN for the browser, we all use regular internet everyday without VPN and do a whole lot more than we normally would through Tesla browser without VPN and few complain. One would really value privacy if they are doing something that is against the rules/norm of their region (which can be totally ok in another regio). In my view, if I can do without VPN on my phone at 10x the speed, then give it to me without VPN at 10x speed.

I don’t know if that is the actual thing that is limiting its speed.

13. .jg.

.jg. Member

I guess the browser isn't explicitly chosen to go via the VPN but is included by "catch all" firewall/VPN rules which only allow traffic to/from the car to be via the Tesla VPN.

14. hoops129

hoops129 Member

What is typical speed over LTE? My maps redraw very slow since v9 so i'm wondering if something happened to my LTE signal

15. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

I can get 3.0 or so on a good day.
    Maybe a bit more on occasion
    This is using FAST.com site

16. JPoldo

JPoldo Member

#16 JPoldo, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Try multiple speed test sites and take an average. Be sure to select the closest server to your location so you are not measuring hops. I can't understand why everyone's measurement on WiFi is in the 3-5 meg range when the cheapest N-rate home access point typically delivers over 30 M. Wish there was a way to retrofit my S75 with an AC3200 access point to support speeds over 500 M.

My company delivers WiFi to over 6000 homes and if we delivered only 3 Megs, customers would fire us.

17. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

This isn't true. Pull up a "what is my IP" site from the car browser when connected to wifi and you'll get the IP address of your home internet connection, not some random Tesla VPN gateway address.

I'm not sure why the connectivity is so slow, but it's not a VPN thing.

18. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

I could be crazy (probably)
    But when I used to own and zoom around on my maps and it wasn’t super fast but it was acceptable at least.

Now it’s just painful watching it go dark for awhile and then finally start to rebuild it little by little.
    Not sure if that started happening since V9 or maybe when I got the new maps awhile back or what ....
    But sure sucks. The data just seems so slow coming into the car these days.
    Even streaming music doesn’t seem right.
    And heck forget about surfing a webpage.
    I won’t even attempt to show friends that *sugar*.

19. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Just checked, on home WiFi, I get max throughput from my ISP ... I’m getting 110 Mbps on fast.com. This was the case when I checked a few months back.

20. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I get the same on LTE that I did on 3g (just a bit over 3 MB) given that AT&T now throttles Tesla LTE accounts. This is the reason my LTE upgrade was free.