Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this speed typical? FAST.com on WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been fooling around lately trying to figure out why my slacker streaming audio is skipping and stuttering and I was troubleshooting the data speed into the car.
Long story short I can run FAST.com on the car browser on WiFi (router 5 feet away) and get 8.0 mgb down.
Then the phone next and it gets 110 mgb down.

I don’t expect the same throughout as iPhone but seems pretty low.
Is this typical ?

Attachments

• 7BC8B82B-D109-4570-8207-F739324EB679.jpeg
    7BC8B82B-D109-4570-8207-F739324EB679.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 119
I have been fooling around lately trying to figure out why my slacker streaming audio is skipping and stuttering and I was troubleshooting the data speed into the car.
Long story short I can run FAST.com on the car browser on WiFi (router 5 feet away) and get 8.0 mgb down.
Then the phone next and it gets 110 mgb down.

I don’t expect the same throughout as iPhone but seems pretty low.
Is this typical ?
I have about the same performance (7.6 mgb) with my 2015 AP1.

7-8 Mbps ought to be sufficient. There was a time last year when it was really bad (buffering and dropping) and I was seeing speeds below 100 kbps on fast.com for the car. That was a network issue Tesla finally resolved.

Why VPN? What benefits would it bring through the browser?

Security. Whether on cellular or WiFi, the car (not just the browser) connects only to Tesla via VPN - no other connections are allowed, to or from the car. Once the car's connection reaches Tesla, Tesla can decide how and to where the browser and other apps can connect and what connections may be made with the car (back through the VPN) e.g. the Tesla mobile app.

In addition to the security aspect, it may be that the "only VPN connections with Tesla" constraint may be part of Tesla's deals with cellular providers in the different regions.

I don’t see the need for a VPN for the browser, we all use regular internet everyday without VPN and do a whole lot more than we normally would through Tesla browser without VPN and few complain. One would really value privacy if they are doing something that is against the rules/norm of their region (which can be totally ok in another regio). In my view, if I can do without VPN on my phone at 10x the speed, then give it to me without VPN at 10x speed.

I don’t know if that is the actual thing that is limiting its speed.

Try multiple speed test sites and take an average. Be sure to select the closest server to your location so you are not measuring hops. I can't understand why everyone's measurement on WiFi is in the 3-5 meg range when the cheapest N-rate home access point typically delivers over 30 M. Wish there was a way to retrofit my S75 with an AC3200 access point to support speeds over 500 M.

My company delivers WiFi to over 6000 homes and if we delivered only 3 Megs, customers would fire us.

Last edited:
Security. Whether on cellular or WiFi, the car (not just the browser) connects only to Tesla via VPN - no other connections are allowed, to or from the car. Once the car's connection reaches Tesla, Tesla can decide how and to where the browser and other apps can connect and what connections may be made with the car (back through the VPN) e.g. the Tesla mobile app.

In addition to the security aspect, it may be that the "only VPN connections with Tesla" constraint may be part of Tesla's deals with cellular providers in the different regions.

This isn't true. Pull up a "what is my IP" site from the car browser when connected to wifi and you'll get the IP address of your home internet connection, not some random Tesla VPN gateway address.

I'm not sure why the connectivity is so slow, but it's not a VPN thing.

I could be crazy (probably)
But when I used to own and zoom around on my maps and it wasn’t super fast but it was acceptable at least.

Now it’s just painful watching it go dark for awhile and then finally start to rebuild it little by little.
Not sure if that started happening since V9 or maybe when I got the new maps awhile back or what ....
But sure sucks. The data just seems so slow coming into the car these days.
Even streaming music doesn’t seem right.
And heck forget about surfing a webpage.
I won’t even attempt to show friends that *sugar*.