Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speeding ticket question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Friday at 10pm returning home from a Super Charger and was getting both verbally and physically harassed randomly by some guys (late 20s to 30s) in a newer Camaro RS. They threw stuff at my vehicle, one even exited at a stop light to confront me. I was able to maneuver away but because their car was so fast it made it impossible to lose them. Long story short I was coming over an incline and at the bottom of it were 2 police SUVs pulled to the side. I was boxed in from moving to the left and went by doing approx. 67, only to see the Camaro take a sharp left which led to another highway entrance. I slowed down and veered towards the breakdown lane only to get pulled over. I was shaken to say the least.

I was eventually mailed a citation for doing 80 in a 55 (speeding 90/17) and fined for not moving over for a parked police vehicle (89/7A). My question or advice is: my car is actually speed locked at 70mph, I've never bothered to disable it because I work remote and only travel locally and was part of the reason I couldn't lose the Camaro). The ticket states it was "estimated" and being a Step 9 driver with an immaculate record (only second ticket in almost 35 years) I want to know if you guys think not only should I fight it (speeding 90/17 is more serious than 90/18 I've found btw) but spend the money to hire an attorney with more experience arguing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Video footage is your way to prove your reason for spending and ID the Camaro.

Reactions: Skavatar
My insurance went up $2500 a year with a no points ticket (for who knows how long)... so probably well worth the attorney fees in hindsight.
The laws vary from state to state.
Some states have a no points speeding ticket for 10 over or something but that still shows up on your driving record.
Typically insurance keeps a conviction on your record for 3 years and 3 months or 39 months.
If you can get it reduced to a parking ticket that is not a moving violation and does not show up on your driving record.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Last Friday at 10pm returning home from a Super Charger and was getting both verbally and physically harassed randomly by some guys (late 20s to 30s) in a newer Camaro RS. They threw stuff at my vehicle, one even exited at a stop light to confront me. I was able to maneuver away but because their car was so fast it made it impossible to lose them. Long story short I was coming over an incline and at the bottom of it were 2 police SUVs pulled to the side. I was boxed in from moving to the left and went by doing approx. 67, only to see the Camaro take a sharp left which led to another highway entrance. I slowed down and veered towards the breakdown lane only to get pulled over. I was shaken to say the least.

I was eventually mailed a citation for doing 80 in a 55 (speeding 90/17) and fined for not moving over for a parked police vehicle (89/7A). My question or advice is: my car is actually speed locked at 70mph, I've never bothered to disable it because I work remote and only travel locally and was part of the reason I couldn't lose the Camaro). The ticket states it was "estimated" and being a Step 9 driver with an immaculate record (only second ticket in almost 35 years) I want to know if you guys think not only should I fight it (speeding 90/17 is more serious than 90/18 I've found btw) but spend the money to hire an attorney with more experience arguing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
A bit curious What instigated the harassment? As it was verbal they had to be yelling something? A single tap of the horn would have recorded the event.

Hopefully there isn't a next time but honking the horn will tell your computer to save the video. There's a chance you still have it depending on how much driving since then. A tag number or a cop recognizing the guys or car could get them off the road for a while.

Taking a defensive driving course might nullify the points on your license.
I live in MA and AFAIK they don't offer any courses to reduce fines/points unforunately.

You went by doing approximately 67? We can tell you're lying through your teeth, even through the internet. Not only were you speeding, but you did so while ignoring the Move over law? You deserve every ticket and fine they can throw at you.
First of all, who's "we"? Secondly the 'Move Over Law' in MA clearly states "if safe to do so":

which I couldn't as I was being blocked by said Camaro and a few others in front of them from getting to the left and the mph in that area was 55, but was 65 heading into it less than 100 yards. So if my car is speed limit locked at 70mph and I let off the pedal it's pretty safe to assume that 67 isn't some wild claim made even through the internet The ticket "estimated" 80 despite the fact no one had activated any radar (per cop) and were in the middle of a traffic stop as I went by.

Last edited:
Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but why didn’t you just slow down when you saw the cops?
I
A bit curious What instigated the harassment? As it was verbal they had to be yelling something? A single tap of the horn would have recorded the event.
No idea, I was in the slow lane of a 2 line highway road. Not sure if it was because they had a muscle car and me an EV/Tesla, or because mine was red. In the past it was usually young kids wanting to race, but this was guys that looked to be in their late 20s/30s and only 10 at night. I didn't know how to do the dashcam thing tbh, nor even use FSD, I just drive it occasionally.

First of all, who's "we"? Secondly the 'Move Over Law' in MA clearly states "if safe to do so":

which I couldn't as I was being blocked by said Camaro and a few others in front of them from getting to the left and the mph in that area was 55, but was 65 heading into it less than 100 yards. So if my car is speed limit locked at 70mph and I let off the pedal it's pretty safe to assume that 67 isn't some wild claim made even through the internet The ticket "estimated" 80 despite the fact no one had activated any radar (per cop) and were in the middle of a traffic stop as I went by.
Here in NY if you can't move over you're supposed to slow down to 20 mph

The part of the law that is putting more people at risk is the latter half, which requires you to slow down to 20 miles an hour if you can’t safely get over, or else you may be seeing a trooper in the rearview.
"Slow down. Put your signal on, and if you can't move over safely, just maintain your lane and continue on,"

The part of the law that is putting more people at risk is the latter half, which requires you to slow down to 20 miles an hour if you can’t safely get over, or else you may be seeing a trooper in the rearview.
"Slow down. Put your signal on, and if you can't move over safely, just maintain your lane and continue on,"
next time, when you see the police, stop, honk and yell "help!" to get their attention, and inform the officers the thugs in the camaro "threw stuff at my car" "got out of their car at the stop light and threatened to kick my ass" and "I'm in fear for my life."

also after a mile or so you should call 911.
I pulled over right after where they were parked, you're not supposed to interfere with them in the middle of a traffic stop tbh as it puts them at risk. And as I stated my phone was in my glovebox and my only thoughts were getting away from them, and staying on a main road with other vehicles. My intention was to go to the state police which was still a good 3-4 miles away.

I'm not arguing that point, the police were well off of the shoulder and I hugged the middle line as I approached. My question was more so arguing the 'estimated' speed they wrote me up for which would more directly affect my insurance.

if your phone is connected to your Tesla, you should be able to make a call from the touchscreen. driving to a police station is a good idea but they usually don't have a patrol officer sitting outside, you'll still need to call ahead and get an officer to come out or a patrol officer to come back and meet you.

an estimated speed is still admissible in court. it mainly affects the fine amount, such as 1-9 miles over the limit is $X amount fine, and 10-19 miles is $Y amount fine, etc.

Reactions: BulldogsRus