Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this trunk rebound normal on the refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I don't feel like my trunk used to do this, and Tesla will say it's within spec. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of small rebound when the trunk finishes opening. I've tried resetting the limit in different places, and no matter where - it always rebounds a little. As mentioned, I'm guessing it's just one of those within tolerances type of things with perhaps my specific car, but still, a bit weird, maybe?

When I picked up my car from the SC for a different issue, the trunk had some bounce on the right side. The service advisor was able to quickly resolve it by twisting the exterior part of the right shock very slightly (didn't realize that was possible).
If not, this could be something that mobile service can quickly address. GL

When I picked up my car from the SC for a different issue, the trunk had some bounce on the right side. The service advisor was able to quickly resolve it by twisting the exterior part of the right shock very slightly (didn't realize that was possible).
If not, this could be something that mobile service can quickly address. GL
Interesting. Which part did they twist, and what do you mean on the right side?

Interesting. Which part did they twist, and what do you mean on the right side?
So when I closed my trunk after the SC appointment, the left (driver side) of the trunk laid down smoothly. however, the right (passenger side) had a bounce in it and that's what they were able to fix by adjusting the right (passenger side) shock.
So the shock has two large parts, one part that is attached to the body of the car, the other is attached to the trunk lid, the out portion of the shock. The SC tech slightly twisted that outer portion of the passenger side shock slightly and kept opening and closing the rear trunk until the bounce issue was gone.

• Helpful
Reactions: thesmokingman
So when I closed my trunk after the SC appointment, the left (driver side) of the trunk laid down smoothly. however, the right (passenger side) had a bounce in it and that's what they were able to fix by adjusting the right (passenger side) shock.
So the shock has two large parts, one part that is attached to the body of the car, the other is attached to the trunk lid, the out portion of the shock. The SC tech slightly twisted that outer portion of the passenger side shock slightly and kept opening and closing the rear trunk until the bounce issue was gone.
Ah, that's a separate issue that's unrelated to this thread, but I'm glad it got sorted for you!