Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this used 2021 Model Y a Good Deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model Y Long Range 28,326 miles going for $44,731.
Would it be eligible for the tax credits? I would whip the calculator out and calculate your final cost for "used less whatever incentives" vs "new less incentives" In my case buying used did not make any sense due to different tax credit income eligibility for new vs used. Your situation could be different.

Upvote 0
For an additional $2,800 you can get a new one (net of tax credit) that is 2 years newer and has 28,000 fewer miles.
But without radar and USS. Of course there are other goodies the new one has like AMD Ryzen etc. Used prices are still a tad too high for it to make sense. Now if your not able to take advantage of the tax credit for whatever reason then used makes sense.

Reactions: OTARon
Upvote 0
The market/owners/dealers don't seem to have caught up yet with how much the price has been lowered on new models, and how much less used models are worth. Even on Tesla's website, used models are listed for *more* than new when factoring in tax credits. Maybe there are buyers who haven't realized it yet but that seems like a stretch.....surely folks would compare the used price with new after rebate. But then I guess this thread shows not everyone is connecting the dots. Not picking on the OP but creating a thread asking if a 2 year old car with over $20k miles is a good deal when brand new is only $2k more..........

Here's an even worse deal right on the Tesla website. 2 years old, $35k miles, more expensive than brand new:

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 8.58.10 PM.png

Who the hell is going to be dumb enough to buy this? Even someone who makes too much to qualify for the tax credit isn't going to buy this when a brand new with full warranty is only another $5k without tax credit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The market/owners/dealers don't seem to have caught up yet with how much the price has been lowered on new models, and how much less used models are worth. Even on Tesla's website, used models are listed for *more* than new when factoring in tax credits. Maybe there are buyers who haven't realized it yet but that seems like a stretch.....surely folks would compare the used price with new after rebate. But then I guess this thread shows not everyone is connecting the dots. Not picking on the OP but creating a thread asking if a 2 year old car with over $20k miles is a good deal when brand new is only $2k more..........

Here's an even worse deal right on the Tesla website. 2 years old, $35k miles, more expensive than brand new:

View attachment 916624

Who the hell is going to be dumb enough to buy this? Even someone who makes too much to qualify for the tax credit isn't going to buy this when a brand new with full warranty is only another $5k without tax credit.
True, I'd rather get new as well, but recognize this one seems to have acceleration boost (4.2sec), so that's about $2K extra.

Our current 2021 LR Y has almost the same mileage so I'm glad used prices are still listing very close to what we bought new, but doesn't really matter as we're not in the market to buy nor sell atm.

Upvote 0
Would it be eligible for the tax credits? I would whip the calculator out and calculate your final cost for "used less whatever incentives" vs "new less incentives" In my case buying used did not make any sense due to different tax credit income eligibility for new vs used. Your situation could be different.
No because it is well above the $25K price limit at Used Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service.
For an additional $2,800 you can get a new one (net of tax credit) that is 2 years newer and has 28,000 fewer miles.
Of course, this assumes the OP's income isn't too high (Credits for New Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service) and that they also have sufficient Federal tax liability.

All the "IRA" changes re: EV tax credits became a net negative (at least for purchases) for me as my income's too high, so even though now a bunch of vehicles qualify, I can't claim it. And, a ton of not assembled in North America EVs and PHEVs suddenly became ineligible.

Upvote 0
True, I'd rather get new as well, but recognize this one seems to have acceleration boost (4.2sec), so that's about $2K extra.

Our current 2021 LR Y has almost the same mileage so I'm glad prices are still listing very close to what we paid for it, but doesn't really matter as we're not in the market to buy nor sell atm.
Prices are that high, but I still can't imagine anyone is actually paying that. I suspect used inventory is going to pile up until pricing makes sense compared to new.

Upvote 0

View attachment 916624

Someone who needs to drive off the lot tomorrow and there is always demand for these cars.

Upvote 0

View attachment 916624

Just a FYI, mileage isn’t money, so you don’t use the $, that’s confusing. It’s just written 20k miles or 35k miles.

• Funny
Reactions: TesslaBull
Upvote 0

View attachment 916624

Yeah, I think it's the books that haven't kept up. Dealers are just looking at the book and then setting prices. The other part of the problem is that many dealers overpaid for the cars and are looking at a significant loss. So they are choosing to keep prices at book, turn newer cheaper inventory, and "wait it out" hoping prices recover.

Heck there is a dealer near me trying to sell a used 22 MYP in white 10k miles for 62k. That car is almost $12,000 cheaper brand new when you factor in tax credit.

The other issue is those that finance the rates on used car loans are higher than new. The smart dealers that want to move inventory are dropping their prices below book and those cars are selling.

Once tax time passes there may be more attractive deals on used examples. The dealers are probably holding out hoping customers come in to spend their tax return money so prices probably won't drop much in the next month or two.

Upvote 0