Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this video about Tesla accurate, or pure hype?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at what happened 2 weeks after the video was released.
VW first admitted they have production limit problem, then invited Elon to their company meeting a week later.
Hertz said they will buy 100k of Tesla, then Uber signed on as a partner.
And recently GM and Ford announced more accessible ramping of EV production.

At the time it did seem clickbait, but seeing what is happening the title is quite accurate.

That does not change in the slightest way, shape or form whether I will EVER click on a link / video etc with a clickbait title. A clickbait title tells me that even the author does not believe the information would stand on its own, because if it would, they wouldnt have to resort to that to try to get people to pay attention.

Not sure what you are after, here. There is absolutely zero you can say to me that will convince me anything with clickbait is worth paying attention to, but thats me. You can continue to pay attention to them if you desire. To each his or her own as it were.

Reactions: swaltner
That does not change in the slightest way, shape or form whether I will EVER click on a link / video etc with a clickbait title. A clickbait title tells me that even the author does not believe the information would stand on its own, because if it would, they wouldnt have to resort to that to try to get people to pay attention.

Not sure what you are after, here. There is absolutely zero you can say to me that will convince me anything with clickbait is worth paying attention to, but thats me. You can continue to pay attention to them if you desire. To each his or her own as it were.
I understand your outrage but I think you should consider how difficult it is to define clickbait. There are lots of "obvious" clickbait headlines but there is a vast grey area.
If you look at the headlines in any "reputable" new source, you could easily define many of the headlines as clickbait.
I don't think you should arbitrarily exclude a source just because you perceive it to be clickbait. You have accept that you will be fooled a certain percentage of the time but you should be able to rely on your fine judgement to weigh the merits of the actual content.

I understand your outrage but I think you should consider how difficult it is to define clickbait. There are lots of "obvious" clickbait headlines but there is a vast grey area.
If you look at the headlines in any "reputable" new source, you could easily define many of the headlines as clickbait.
I don't think you should arbitrarily exclude a source just because you perceive it to be clickbait. You have accept that you will be fooled a certain percentage of the time but you should be able to rely on your fine judgement to weigh the merits of the actual content.
Sure, thats true.

Anything that starts or includes "You wont believe what XXXX" "this will CHANGE your XXXX" I define personally as clickbait. Some titles are "somewhat" clickbait. The video title of this OPs post is:

"Tesla made a move that will SHOCK the..." and "No one saw THIS coming". Both extreme examples of clickbait, to me, complete with the bolded SHOCK! and red "THIS" in the titles. Stuff that is "sorta" clickbait I might give a chance, but not something like these Taboola advertisement titles.

This approach assumes we all have infinite time/attention. We don't. Given the fact that we all have limited time and attention, we must restrict what articles we read, what videos we watch, etc. We can do this in various ways, one of which is to evaluate the titles -- that's the whole point of a title, after all. If experience shows that clickbait titles are attached to low-value content, then avoiding clickbait titles makes sense. You can quibble about what constitutes clickbait, how reliable that association is, etc., but in my experience there's a strong positive correlation between clickbait titles and garbage content. Yes, there are exceptions; but no, I won't check clickbait content to see if this one time is different -- at least, not without a significant reason to do so, since it's likely to be a waste of my time. Even with a reason, there's the principle of the thing -- clicking on a clickbait title provides positive reinforcement to the publisher, which is something I'd prefer to avoid.

This is actually a very big problem. The Internet has provided a firehose of information to most people on the planet, but our brains are incapable of processing that much information. Unscrupulous individuals and companies have learned that practices like giving content clickbait titles and producing fear- or anger-inducing content can be effective ways to draw our attention to whatever junky content they can produce most cheaply, and thus also drawing our attention away from better content. A video claiming that Tesla is destined to dominate the auto industry is pretty mild compared to some junk content, but it's an example of the same problem. We as a society have to figure out how to deal with this issue. That's a problem that's much bigger than the scope of discussion for this forum, but in the context to which it's relevant here, I agree with @jjrandorin: I won't watch Tesla content with clickbait titles.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Sure, thats true.

Anything that starts or includes "You wont believe what XXXX" "this will CHANGE your XXXX" I define personally as clickbait. Some titles are "somewhat" clickbait. The video title of this OPs post is:

"Tesla made a move that will SHOCK the..." and "No one saw THIS coming". Both extreme examples of clickbait, to me, complete with the bolded SHOCK! and red "THIS" in the titles. Stuff that is "sorta" clickbait I might give a chance, but not something like these Taboola advertisement titles.
Understandable, but that is also the norm today.
I work with a popular creator and he struggles to find a balanced title, asking me and select few for feedback, because for eyes (thus success) there must be a level of sensationalism.
This is the world we live in today, and it can be ones loss not to look (fortunately the bad clickbait titles and clickbait images are not hard to pick out).

It is easier to see the title with events that happen, Lars was trying to predict what will happen, and from what he said he had a revelation on what is happening, and he wanted to express his SHOCK at that understanding to the audience.
I think it was a well balanced title.

No one should watch bad videos, but "you cannot judge a video by its title".
Some of the best sci fi books I ever read had crappy artwork and absolutely horrible back jacket ad copy that only a moron would like.

So, yes, just because something is marketed down to the average IQ doesn‘t mean it isn’t worthwhile.

Seen any beer commercials that you intellectually appreciate? Doesn’t mean the beer is bad…

The reality is that the clickbait YouTube titles work. They generate more views. They make the author more money. Hard to fault the author for trying to make a buck from a well produced and accurate video.

Some of the best sci fi books I ever read had crappy artwork and absolutely horrible back jacket ad copy that only a moron would like.

So, yes, just because something is marketed down to the average IQ doesn‘t mean it isn’t worthwhile.

Seen any beer commercials that you intellectually appreciate? Doesn’t mean the beer is bad…

The reality is that the clickbait YouTube titles work. They generate more views. They make the author more money. Hard to fault the author for trying to make a buck from a well produced and accurate video.

I have a pretty large collection of sci fi and fantasy books (several bookshelves full, actually... I still love physical books), and would agree with that statement regarding those. My point is, those video titles do NOT work for "me". Perhaps they work on others.

For ME, "You wont BELIEVE what happened!" falls into the exact same category of "Dear Sir, I am Messier Jones and wanted to inform you that you have whon 50million US dollars, I just need you to confirm your name, date of birth, social security number of mothers maiden name in this form", or "We have attempted to reach you several times to discuss extending your car warranty, please call our office NOW or we will close the file".

For ME, these all fall into the exact same category, and I am sure I am not missing anything I would be actually interested in. Others are different /shrug.

Reactions: srs5694
If nothing else, such growth will eventually be limited by factors like the demand for cars in the world economy. I don't know about you, but I'll never buy as many Teslas as I do, say, bars of soap. Realistically, the limit will be reached well before then because of competition (from traditional automakers, new startups, and Chinese EV makers),
I don't think there will be competition.
Also with cheaper models and cheaper production, the market will open up to more and more people. Families currently buy the Hondas and Toyotas because they are of value. I know Cathie throws around wright law, but considering this, Tesla will be soon be that value known in every home.

I despise click bait BS on youtube. The immature and meaningless crap is clogging up the platform.
Don't get cable TV. There's meaningless crap all over the place.

Look at what happened 2 weeks after the video was released.
VW first admitted they have production limit problem, then invited Elon to their company meeting a week later.
Hertz said they will buy 100k of Tesla, then Uber signed on as a partner.
And recently GM and Ford announced more accessible ramping of EV production.

At the time it did seem clickbait, but seeing what is happening the title is quite accurate.
Maybe VW, Hertz and GM watched the same video.
No one should watch bad videos, but "you cannot judge a video by its title".
I remember hearing this somewhere. Something about a book and a cover?

Reactions: MontyFloyd
What if author used Italic, Bold, or Underline in title?
Would that that receive your approval?
Other than posting this to bump the thread, not sure why you keep asking me this. My feelings on this are my own, yours are your own.

You arrive at that number if you assume a 70% per year compound annual growth rate, which is Tesla’s historical growth rate.

2020: 500k
2021: 850K
2022: 1.4M
2023: 2.5m
2024: 4.2M
2025: 7.1M

2021 and 2022 are a given at this point. You can assume Tesla will hit those numbers. 2023 is also very possible with their new factories running near capacity. Next year Tesla will scout for new factory locations, start building them early 2023, finish them early 2024, won’t really be fully on line until 2025. So I think 2024, they won’t hit 4.2M, more like 3.5M at best, and then continue growing faster again after that. So maybe 6M for 2025. Cue the “It’s over” headlines for 2024 🙄

Note that these are insane growth rates for a car company. Also note that other car companies are going to get crushed. Also note that Tesla is more than a car company. It is also a world leader in battery cells, batteries, AI, self driving, Supercharging, solar roofs, stationary storage and who knows what else. Yes, Tesla is still a buy even at this stock price.
"
"Next year Tesla will scout for new factory locations, start building them early 2023, finish them early 2024, won’t really be fully on line until 2025." They already had "two new" factory locations in 2022! CT - will be ramping up near Austin in a few months. Semi - will be built in 2023. Clearly they will continue to use existing sites to ramp both existing and new platforms, just as fast as any new sites ramp.

I think what's hugely overlooked with a factory in Berlin is the intimidation factor. I feel these companies are seeing someone (Tesla) come in their back yard and start such a disruption that they become fearful. Although fear may be a good motivator, it shouldn't be use as such. The other car manufactures know they are no longer in a good position and will attempt to jockey while making many mistakes along the way. Of course there will be many solid reports, ideas and restructuring from them. Videos like this can predict the future all day long, but what really counts at the end of the year, will be the numbers. That's what will tell the truth. Go #TSLA