Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this what Musk meant when he referred to the pending "manufacturing hell"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.fairfutureattesla.org/wp...2/2017/07/Tesla-Board-Members-Open-Letter.pdf

My guess is that the UAW is trying to ramp up labor pressure in the critical period of getting Model 3 production off the ground. I also suspect that the "committee" speaks for very few Tesla employees. Nonetheless, never underestimate the perfidy of unions. The odds are that UAW dirty labor tricks, rather than supply chain or other issues, will be the source of any manufacturing hell.

It sounds like a reasonable letter to me except for this part:

Again, we are proud of Tesla’s mission, and proud to be your partners in building the future.

I have employees and they are not my partners. There's a big difference between employees and partners and it's all about risk, which every entrepreneur knows about very well, and employees generally do not.

The odds are that UAW dirty labor tricks, rather than supply chain or other issues, will be the source of any manufacturing hell.

Elon sounded pretty sincere to me at the Reveal when he explained the manufacturing process and suppliers required from all over the world, and the buffering for the supply line should one or more suppliers fail to deliver, and where problems can arise. To suggest it was all a front because of "dirty labor tricks" sound overly cynical to me. Yes, unions do pull some bad tricks, but so do employers.