Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this windshield cowl gap normal? Causing lots of wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car (delivered in March) has been making a ton of wind noise at low speeds around 30mph and seems to be caused by the windshield cowl's "wings" that surround the bottom corners of the windshield. There is a huge gap between the cowl and the windshield itself on both sides.

When I first took delivery of the cowl was not even clipped in on the driver side. It would not clip in and I suspect it was the plastic part that the cowl is supposed to clip into. and the wind noise was also present and I attributed it to not being installed correctly.

Service center visit 1 resulted in them not doing anything and I didn't catch it since they had to fix other issues and I didn't double check it.
Service center visit 2 resulted in them replacing the cowl after I complained, but now the wind noise is still present. I've tried taping it and it does seem to help.

Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_5114 copy.jpg
IMG_7201.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: 1 person
After taking a look at Trevlan006's image and my friends model 3, something is obviously way out of spec or the technicians at my service center cut some corners.

You are missing a little plastic piece that isolates that area from the wind.
Here is what the front of mine looks like (see pics below).
Stop by your service location, show them my picture, and tell them you want that piece on your car. They should find a way to oblige.

front windshield.jpg

front windshield 2.jpg

Also, have anyone used the following rubber gasket kit to plug in the holes around the sunroof glass areas?
Windshield and Roof Wind Noise Reduction Kit For Tesla Model 3

a

Last edited:
You are missing a little plastic piece that isolates that area from the wind.
Here is what the front of mine looks like (see pics below).
Stop by your service location, show them my picture, and tell them you want that piece on your car. They should find a way to oblige.

View attachment 401776

View attachment 401779

Also, have anyone used the following rubber gasket kit to plug in the holes around the sunroof glass areas?
Windshield and Roof Wind Noise Reduction Kit For Tesla Model 3

a

yes I have it and works great!

Thanks everyone for the pictures. I've double checked with a friend's car and I can confirm that my car does have all the plastic trim, it's just been shoved into the fender and a-pillar. Image below shows it tucked into the fender/a-pillar and looks right at home.

IMG_9892.JPG

After looking at everyone's pictures and inspecting my friend's car, these trim pieces look way out of spec or poorly designed the way the wing's are just sticking out of the a-pillar and next to the windshield.

Image below is of the trim piece untucked as I've seen it on several cars. The visible clip is not able to be clipped in properly if it is not tucked in. I've seen this on two other cars now. Even with it un-tucked, I still have a gap causing wind noise.
IMG_7477.JPG

My first thought is that the backing piece (part that this wing is supposed to clip into) is too far recessed into the fender and Tesla found a work-around which was to untuck this and leave it hanging out becuase this looks like strange fitment from the factory to me:
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 12.49.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Update for anyone dealing with this issue: The wind noise was due to an assembly defect and the windshield was replaced. I was told it was not enough sealant applied during assembly.

The windshield cowl, these plastic wings, and the hood hinge covers apparently do nothing at all. They're just there to fill in the gaps.

Thanks. Always appreciate when people post the resolution to their problems.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

Update for anyone dealing with this issue: The wind noise was due to an assembly defect and the windshield was replaced. I was told it was not enough sealant applied during assembly.

The windshield cowl, these plastic wings, and the hood hinge covers apparently do nothing at all. They're just there to fill in the gaps.

do you have the service order email of what was done? i need to explain this to my SC

Can you post a picture see what's the proper windshield install?
Thanks.