Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Isaacson Biography of Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JHCCAZ

Electrified Engineer
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2021
Tucson
As many of you will be aware, Walter Isaacson has written many important, long and popular biographies. Jobs, Feynman, Einstein, daVinci, Franklin etc.

Now he's apparently writing one about Elon Musk. This seems a bit premature to me - I think huge developments are coming and the complete & proper perspective is probably still unclear. However, Isaacson is pushing 70 so I suppose he can't wait 20 more years to see how things play out.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) Tweeted:
If you’re curious about Tesla, SpaceX & my general goings on, @WalterIsaacson is writing a biography

WSJ: 'Elon Musk’ Takeaways: Book Paints Complicated Picture of the World’s Richest Man
Walter Isaacson’s new biography peers behind the scenes at the tycoon’s lifestyle and his leadership of Tesla, SpaceX and Twitter

Might help:
1694517917510.png

Haven’t read the book, but I love this part:

”His tweets about voting Republican because Democrats were the party of division and hate were sticking in my craw. Even if Uvalde never happened, I probably would have brought it up, because I was angry and offended,” David told Isaacson.”

It was needed to be said!

Issacson on SpaceX early goals:

“Thus continued the tradition he had established at PayPal: setting unrealistic timelines that transformed his wild notions from being completely insane to being merely very late.”

I'm actually pretty annoyed at how shallow this book turned out to be. Issacson tries to frame statements like this as if he's some expert authority. Elon has been blatantly clear that working in these companies is hardcore and even compared it to Special Forces level intensity. obviuosly there's going to be shattered egos.

The astounding progress SpaceX has made over a handful of years is singularly powered by Elon's limitless drive and ambition. Elon is an unusual person, what a big surprise. The disregard for conventions and common knowledge that causes sometime rash decisions is also the driving force behind SpaceX going from zero to making fcking NASA look like a vastly overfunded kindergarten in a decade.

I wish they'd found a biographer with even a hint of tech insight. Perhaps even someone who can fathom the sheer assymetric productivity of a really good developer or engineer.

I'm actually pretty annoyed at how shallow this book turned out to be. Issacson tries to frame statements like this as if he's some expert authority. Elon has been blatantly clear that working in these companies is hardcore and even compared it to Special Forces level intensity. obviuosly there's going to be shattered egos.

The astounding progress SpaceX has made over a handful of years is singularly powered by Elon's limitless drive and ambition. Elon is an unusual person, what a big surprise. The disregard for conventions and common knowledge that causes sometime rash decisions is also the driving force behind SpaceX going from zero to making fcking NASA look like a vastly overfunded kindergarten in a decade.

I wish they'd found a biographer with even a hint of tech insight. Perhaps even someone who can fathom the sheer assymetric productivity of a really good developer or engineer.
I agree but it seems the average person cares more about the negative side. During the CSPAN interview, despite all the great things Elon has done, the host continually focused on the negative.