Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISO: TT-30 Adapter in Denver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully someone will have the TT-30 EVSE adapter but if not, you could get this TT-30 to 14-50 adapter to use but YOU MUST MANUALLY LIMIT CHARGE AMPERAGE IN THE CAR TO 24A because it doesn't set the car automatically.

Edit: If you don’t limit charge amperage before connecting the charger, starting the charge, and during charging, it could cause damage to the campground equipment and pose a risk of fire. It will also only a bit more than double your typical 120V NEMA 5-15 charge rate.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will have the TT-30 EVSE adapter but if not, you could get this TT-30 to 14-50 adapter to use but YOU MUST MANUALLY LIMIT CHARGE AMPERAGE IN THE CAR TO 24A because it doesn't set the car automatically.

Edit: If you don’t limit charge amperage before connecting the charger, starting the charge, and during charging, it could cause damage to the campground equipment and pose a risk of fire. It will also only a bit more than double your typical 120V NEMA 5-15 charge rate.

thanks, I thought i could use that too (being careful to lower the amperage) but then i read that it actually doesn’t work, because it needs to be re-wired to work with the Tesla mobile connector the the Tesla 14-50 plug.

This is what I found that scared me off of that adapter route:

An "RV 30a plug to 50a adapter" takes the 120v/30a from an NMEA TT-30R outlet and connects that to BOTH legs of what looks like an NMEA 14-50R outlet. That provides 120v from each leg to neutral, but ZERO volts between the two hot legs because they are IN PHASE! It's a cute trick that works for many RVs, but it's totally useless for any other purpose - including EV charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is what I found that scared me off of that adapter route:

An "RV 30a plug to 50a adapter" takes the 120v/30a from an NMEA TT-30R outlet and connects that to BOTH legs of what looks like an NMEA 14-50R outlet. That provides 120v from each leg to neutral, but ZERO volts between the two hot legs because they are IN PHASE! It's a cute trick that works for many RVs, but it's totally useless for any other purpose - including EV charging.

You know, that's probably more accurate about that adapter. I saw someone that had one several years ago but it would make sense that they would re-wire it. Please disregard my earlier comment as I apparently made it in haste and with incorrect information.

thanks, I thought i could use that too (being careful to lower the amperage) but then i read that it actually doesn’t work, because it needs to be re-wired to work with the Tesla mobile connector the the Tesla 14-50 plug.
I can't speak to how the TT-30 adapters work from a technical perspective, but I purchased this one from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHDRBBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and while it is still very slow I saw about 7mph charging out of it, where as I see about 3 out of the standard 120v outlet, in my model x. It was well worth it in my opinion.

In general, a TT-30R to 14-50P adapter should be avoided unless it is specifically listed as being for "Tesla." Typical RV store adapters won't work.

I'd lend you mine but I live 300 miles from the Front Range! Must be someone in the Denver area who has one — I can't be the only Tesla camper in Colorado.

Reactions: Rocky_H