Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TT-30 Adapter Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in buying a TT-30 adapter for use on an RV outlet I have, or at the campground.

Found these:

Question: will these also work with the mobile connector on a generator with a TT-30 outlet?
I am assuming I'd get about 6 miles per hour charge rate at 24A, right?

The one from ONETAK will require you also buy a 14-30 adapter from Tesla ($45). The one from Homedepot plugs directly into the mobile connector, so that is simpler. Interesting that these are now available from Homedepot, here is the only place that used to have these - perhaps Homedepot is reselling these:

As to charge rate, I think you will be closer to 8-9 miles per hour - maybe: 24A * 120V * 80% efficiency / 260 Wh/mi (about) = 8.8 ?

Reactions: flixden
I am interested in buying a TT-30 adapter for use on an RV outlet I have, or at the campground.

Found these:

Get the Home Depot or EVSE Adapters one that is a direct Tesla adapter.

Question: will these also work with the mobile connector on a generator with a TT-30 outlet?

No, a generator typically has a locking L14-30 outlet. Here’s an adapter for that:

@ATPMSD
@Cosmacelf

The generator that I'd like to use for this is a Champion 2800W inverter generator, this one:

It has a straight TT-30 outlet. So with that in mind, how about this:

This should work, in combination with the 14-50 adapter that my mobile charger came with, correct? Or am I missing something?

1. The inverter generator does not show what the THD is, so you should not consider it.
  2. You need a minimum running wattage of at least 2,880 watts (120v * 24A = 2,880), this one is 2,800
  3. You definitely do not want a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter! The mobile connector will see this as a 50A circuit and will try to draw the mobile connector’s 32A maximum and trip the breaker. As noted previously, what you need is this:

1. The inverter generator does not show what the THD is, so you should not consider it.

Thanks @ATPMSD.
What will happen when the THD of a generator is too high? I am assuming that the mobile connector will not work, but without any damage caused. Is that correct? I am tempted to try it with the adapter that you have linked above. The current can always be reduced to 20A or even lower, if the breaker pops.
Thanks!

Thanks @ATPMSD.
What will happen when the THD of a generator is too high? I am assuming that the mobile connector will not work, but without any damage caused. Is that correct? I am tempted to try it with the adapter that you have linked above. The current can always be reduced to 20A or even lower, if the breaker pops.
Thanks!
Um. This is one of those cases where my gut reaction says, "Don't go there."

As it happens, I'm a EE and have mucked with DC-DC converters for a living from time to time.

The usual trick (and, no, I don't know exactly what Tesla does) is to rectify the AC voltage coming in from the wall socket, then feed the ripply voltage/current through an L-C filter to smooth to some DC value. That then gets fed into switching transistors that run at $DIETY's own speed which generates a relatively high frequency alternating waveform, typically pulse width modulated, that gets fed into the primary of a ferritic transformer. The output of said transformer is rectified with more switching transistors and filters. Efficiency of the whole shebang, if done right, is in the 90%+ range.

But the assumption on the input side is that one is receiving a 50Hz/60Hz fairly pure sine wave; the capacitors, inductors, and switching transistors all make that assumption, and there's voltage and current monitors that make that assumption, too. However, I'm aware of AC generators whose output can be anything from a square wave (!) to a stepped wave with, say, five steps between -240 and +240 and back. It's more complicated and expensive to make the waveform a near sine wave so, unless the generator manufacturer actually says so, the assumption is that it's not that.

FWIW, I happen to have solar power on the roof. There's a couple of inverters in the garage that take the widely variable DC voltage and current from the panels and, at something like a 100 kHz rate, put little tiny pulses (but high power) into these enormous toroidal ferritic transformers. On the 4800 W inverter, said transformer is is about 2 feet in diameter; the diameter of the toroidal part is about 5" and, I kid you not, those suckers are heavy. But the result of all those teeny pulses going into a large inductance like that is that they get very thoroughly smoothed, so the output is a near-pure sine wave.

The company that made these things some 15 years ago knew that they had to live with a 15-year warranty; so, rather than building something much smaller and more complex, they definitely went old-school with the heavy transformers.

The point is: getting a good sine wave out of a generator is not a walk in the park. If you're buying a generator, then it's on you to dig and find out just how ragged that "sine wave" is. If the company isn't talking, then it's because they know it'll light up a lightbulb (so long as it's not LED or florescent), but won't work with laptops and the like. Or Teslas.

The reason for the Tesla caution is probably the missing ground on generators.
The generator I have certainly produces a sine wave clean enough for LED lighting (no flicker), my laptop, etc.
But maybe it's really not worth it. The idea was usage in emergency situations only anyways, as we do have rather frequent power outages (even for a few days in the past).

Just to expand on the generator question, even if you have the right plug it may not work. Tesla’s are very sensitive to power. You would need an “inverter generator” as opposed to a straight “generator” with a THD <= 5%; <= 3% is desirable.
Well….

My 20 year old generator is certainly not inverter based. Charges Tesla’s quite well!

nope. i put a 10,000 watt Briggs Elite in the bed a of a pickup truck and rescued a friends S that was OO power. i started it in the bed in, told him to set the charging current to as low as it would go, and let him plug in. after 5 minutes of running I had him turn up to 30 amps. No errors anywhere. I charged him for 30 min or so and sent him home.

I plugged into my Y just as a test too. No problem, but it was a quick “does it work” test.

Thanks @ATPMSD.
Thanks!

There are plenty of YouTube videos of people trying to use Inverter Generators to charge their cars. They found if the THD is too high the car will not accept the charge. I suggest checking out videos of people who have done this as they also address the grounding issue(s) noted by others.