Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with door not latching?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are sending out a mobile tech next Monday. I parked the car outside in the sun for about 20 minutes with that door open, and it hasn't done it since...not holding my breath though.

How did your situation play out?
I got a carwash last night and my driver side door latch went haywire again for a few hours. I don't know if water is getting where it shouldn't but this issue always resolves itself overnight. It is only the driver's door.
I have a service tech coming out in 2 weeks.

My coworker had this issue on this car. Mobile service came out and replaced the wire harness that routes between the door and the frame which resolved the issue.

I don't know anything about the structure of a car(one reason I bought this car lol). There's a wiring harness that goes between the door and the frame? I'm assuming that it's somehow getting wet but I don't understand how that tricks the door into thinking it's open. Regardless, thank you for your post!
Was your coworker having the issue happen occasionally or constantly?

I don't know anything about the structure of a car(one reason I bought this car lol). There's a wiring harness that goes between the door and the frame? I'm assuming that it's somehow getting wet but I don't understand how that tricks the door into thinking it's open. Regardless, thank you for your post!
Was your coworker having the issue happen occasionally or constantly?
His issue was intermittent. I believe it was the conductor that ties into the door button to open it was shorting making the car think the button was being pressed. I can track him down and gather more info, such as what part numbers were replaced based on the receipt if you want.
Edit: I earlier said frame, I meant body. :)

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my Model Y today.

My passenger right side window was staying <1/2 inch open. I wasn't too worried because this had happened previously and corrected itself after a few hours. Yesterday, it happened again, but this time, the car kept saying the right side passenger door was open instead of just the window. And then to make things worse the car alarm kept going off every 45 minutes to 1 hour. I tried the window calibration about 10 times with the various suggestions on the internet, tried to turn the power on an off and still would not stop.

There was no service appointment available for 48 hours. Called roadside who said just drive to the nearest tesla service center and have them look at it - went to Cherry Hill, NJ where they also tried to calibrate the window and no success and then said they do not have any loaners available or technicians available to take a look at the car. Could not reach someone from the support staff by phone and online chat said to schedule a service appointment. Reached out to Wilmington, DE - who also do not have loaners and said we can drop it off.

Overall really frustrating experience - I just think for the cost of the car - it should be easier to reach customer service and/or be able to obtain a loaner when the car is not functioning properly. I get that there will be glitches and problems here and there, and overall enjoy driving this car, but I have had really bad experiences with customer service and feel like as a company tesla should be doing a better job of collecting data on these types of problems and how to fix is. When I got to Cherry Hill - they acted like this problem was brand new and they had never heard of it - when I quick search brings up the previous posts so it is obviously not an isolated incident. Leaving it at the service center so curious what they will do to fix it.
IMG-1430.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg