Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with rear window when defroster on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned my rear defroster on for the first time today and noticed that when it's on, the glass around the lines get's quite distorted. It doesn't look normal to me (as i've never seen this happen on any other cars in the past) and I wanted to see if anyone else has this happen to them.

If it makes any difference, I have the rear window that doesn't turn red anywhere on it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Here's a photo for reference. You can see that the car on the left and the house on the right are fairly distorted.

Attachments

• 20180909_162811.jpg
    20180909_162811.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 428
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and GuyDude
If you look from the outside do you see lines in the moisture on the glass?

This is the way any defroster works, you're just noticing it more because of the direction changes on the Model 3's grid.
I think I understand what you’re saying here but this is not the issue that OP and I are seeing. I tested out the rear defroster again today with no moisture on the window (briefly). About 20-30 seconds after turning on, there was visible distortion created in the glass that was not previously there. Road lines seen through the rear windshield now had small curves at each point where the defrost grid lines crossed line of sight.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Koflach
I think I understand what you’re saying here but this is not the issue that OP and I are seeing. I tested out the rear defroster again today with no moisture on the window (briefly). About 20-30 seconds after turning on, there was visible distortion created in the glass that was not previously there. Road lines seen through the rear windshield now had small curves at each point where the defrost grid lines crossed line of sight.
OP’s pic doesn’t do a good job of illustrating the issue. I’ll try to get a before/after pic on my drive home.

About 20-30 seconds after turning on, there was visible distortion created in the glass that was not previously there.
I do not see how the rear window defroster could “distort” the glass. The shape of the glass is not being altered by the heat produced by the defroster wires.

OP:
It's not the glass, it is the air that is unevenly heated and causes refraction.

Google on hot air refraction.
That is a reasonable explanation.

To those who think that replacing the rear window glass will effect this issue: I think that is very unlikely.

If you can’t see out the rear window because of moisture on the glass, turn on the defroster to get rid of the water and then turn it off as soon as it’s done it’s job. Don’t leave it on.