Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with wood veneer delaminating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a problem with the wood veneer de-laminating? Mine is peeling on the passenger side. Worst is right where the vent blows on it.

AVv61X7
20190911_214830.jpg
20190911_214812.jpg

I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for 9/19. I've had the car since July 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Yikes !! How thin is the wood veneer ?

Paper thin. The vent blows right on that edge. Probably dried it out. I only use ONR to clean the inside. A harsh chemical (or rubbing alcohol) could probably cause it. I never noticed it till the other day while sitting in the passenger seat for the first time in a while. No idea how long its been like that. At least easy to just schedule the mobile service from the app on the phone and got an appointment in my driveway for a week later.

Paper thin. The vent blows right on that edge. Probably dried it out. I only use ONR to clean the inside. A harsh chemical (or rubbing alcohol) could probably cause it. I never noticed it till the other day while sitting in the passenger seat for the first time in a while. No idea how long its been like that. At least easy to just schedule the mobile service from the app on the phone and got an appointment in my driveway for a week later.

It is either a lack of glue or poor pressure after application. I make lots of veneer dashes for cars both new and antique. Nobody is using adhesive that would be affected by alcohol or any other standard solvent. In fact, we use alcohol to wife down the dashed before spraying finish on them. That said, using gentle cleaning products is always a good idea since solvents or ammonia can be hard on some finishes.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde