Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

issues with Oneplus 5t as a key to the Model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As i don't hear others complaining about it, I would like to see if there are more people using the oneplus 5t and have now and then issues with accessing the car. Every now and then I have issues and I need to start the Tesla app to enter the car. It is worse with the latest software update on the Model 3, which makes me doubt if my phone is the cause.

As i don't hear others complaining about it, I would like to see if there are more people using the oneplus 5t and have now and then issues with accessing the car. Every now and then I have issues and I need to start the Tesla app to enter the car. It is worse with the latest software update on the Model 3, which makes me doubt if my phone is the cause.
Tony should correct.

If you're stuck or in a hurry
If your Android phone has NFC you can hold your phone up to the drivers side B pillar and unlock/lock the car
Works the same way as the key card

In the 4 years I've had my Model 3, I've used 3 phones. The one that gave me the most failures to unlock right away until I turned on the screen was my OnePlus 7 Pro. It would fail to unlock my car about 5-10% of the time. Before that one I had a Google Pixel 2 that had a better success rate and only failed about 1-2% of the time.

My latest phone has not failed at all (0% failure rate) since I got it like 6 months ago. Which is funny because my latest phone is a Motorola moto g play (2021) and it's a low end phone. I believe at the time it cost about $150 to buy outright from Verizon, but ended up costing me $30 with my Verizon loyalty rewards. I only got it because it was in stock at a somewhat nearby Verizon and was supposed to tide me over until I could get a Google Pixel 5. Google Pixel 5 was discontinued and I grew to love my cheap Motorola phone. The only thing I would change on it is to put in a faster processor cuz it's slooow.

Keep in mind that Tesla's app and vehicle firmware had changed over time and could be a factor in my failure rates with the different phones.

The only things I looked about the OnePlus 7 Pro were the physical switch for ring-vibrate-silent mode and the popup front camera. Other than that I would not buy another.