Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Screen rebooting and profiles getting lost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see if anyone had any direction on what might be the issue for what I am experiencing with my car. It is a 2016 Model S Facelift and I have only had it for 2 weeks. So far the car's screens have frozen then rebooted on 5 different occasions.

1st time -
was on the way home from pick up. it was a 200mile trip and the screen rebooted around 120 miles in. I contributed it to the car probably being offline until it was transferred to my name at pickup and needed to update something.​
2nd time -
was on 2nd day I owned it. I finished setting up everything on the car. Profiles/homelink/suspension raising point/radio settings. then my wife wanted to take it for a drive since she didn't get to drive it yet. we made it about a mile down the road and the screens froze up and rebooted. blowing out all the configurations I made. when it came back had the same screen as before telling me about all the new updates with the software so I figured maybe it was not finished with the last reboot.​
3rd & 4th were on the same trip.
3rd.
it was a 400mile round trip and the screens froze/rebooted right before pulled into a super charger at about the halfway point. backup camera would not work after the screens came back online so it was a bit of a pain to get into the charging bay. once parked I started charging. The LTE stopped working and I could not get my car to connect to my phone's hotspot. I called support and they took me through 3 different ways to reboot the car.
1. holding both scroll wheels down and the break at the same time. (rebooted, but everything was still the same.)
2. had to go outside unplug the car. go back in. go to shutdown on the touchscreen and shutdown the car. after 3 min they had me turn it back on. after everything finished everything was the same as before and still not working
3. they had me hold down the button above the scroll wheel and the scroll wheels on each side until the Tesla T showed up on the screen. after that reboot I could connect my phone as a hotspot, but LTE was still not connecting.
They said that was all the troubleshooting them could do over the phone and they would schedule a ranger to make a trip to my house to fix it.​
4th
on the way back maybe 40miles into it screens froze and rebooted. this time LTE came back and things looked better with the car
5th time
was just driving to work and could tell something was wrong with the screen it was really show and not registering my clicks. after a little longer it froze completely and rebooted. blowing out all my configurations again.
I got an email that a ranger would not be able to do the work needed and they were going to add the work to a service apt I already had made because the drivers side door panel will not stay clipped and there was a chip in the windshield at pickup.

So far I have created my profile, setup Homelink and a suspension raise point at my house 5 times. I absolutely love the car and how it drives, but I am worried about trusting the MCU. I just recently noticed that the service manual is not showing anything either when I try to open it in the car. Is it just a bad MCU and should I push for a replacement or do you think there is more to it? Service is 2 weeks out. hopefully the rest of the time till then is reboot free.

which software/firmware do you have? it was happening to me when I had 2019.12.1.1 but did not occur yet since the latest update.
Thank u life. I am running 2019.12.1.1. I was told that version had a problem with rebooting, but it should not have effected the saved profiles, LTE, or wifi. Was yours losing settings also? The car rebooted again today so it looks like it is going to be pretty frequent until they can look at in.

I had the SAME exact problem. I’d even set up an appointment with my SC but they called me back an hour later and said they were pushing out the latest firmware and that would fix the problem. Since updated to 16.1.1 I haven’t had the problem. Maybe call them and ask them if they can push it to you. Also if you can give the exact time it’s happening it’ll help them to know if it’s a big or something different.

Thank u life. I am running 2019.12.1.1. I was told that version had a problem with rebooting, but it should not have effected the saved profiles, LTE, or wifi. Was yours losing settings also? The car rebooted again today so it looks like it is going to be pretty frequent until they can look at in.

yes, I was losing all the setting; wifi, homeliness, car settings....

I had the SAME exact problem. I’d even set up an appointment with my SC but they called me back an hour later and said they were pushing out the latest firmware and that would fix the problem. Since updated to 16.1.1 I haven’t had the problem. Maybe call them and ask them if they can push it to you. Also if you can give the exact time it’s happening it’ll help them to know if it’s a big or something different.

Thank you for the info. I started looking to see why my car had not updated yet and found a thread saying it needs to be on WiFi to get updates. originally i had the car connected to my home WiFi, but after the reboots I forgot to reconnect. I got an update Saturday night. It didn't update to 2019.16 though. it updated to 2019.15.11. hopefully that version will fix the issue also. It does seem to fix the problem with the car charging at 30amps instead of 40amps with the mobile charger at home.