Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It could be just me but my Plaid has really uncomfortable seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
compared to my 2020 Raven the seats are not being kind to my behind after 30 min of ride my bum starts to hurt. The suspension was set to auto and I was not gunning the car just a family cruise on autopilot. The road was a highway so not bumpy either.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Hi @MrKool ,

There were threads on Model X where a seat cushion foam shortage
may be slowing the delivery of Model X in seat counts other than 6.

How does the cushion feel to your hand?
Thin or weak foam could make a difference...

Just an idea...

Shawn

Seats are driving my wife crazy - looking into upholstery options 😬😬

I have a fix and information.

My brand new M3P really began to hurt after the first long ride. I am a bit larger in frame than the average bear. I'm 6'1” and 250 lbs with large hip bones.

At first it was the narrow hard wings that hurt me. But this hurt feeling expanded to not liking riding in the car a great deal any more than an hour. Over time, it was like memory and it hurt in shorter and shorter time.

I bought complete seat systems and studied them and studied the differences between “good” seats and “bad” seats.

All the Tesla models in recent times use the same or similar seats. The metal pans are identical. The Tesla seats use a foam that's far too soft. The seat sits too deep in a metal frame with essentially zero springs. Since the seat is deep into the frame, the wings / bolsters are actually up against the metal frame.

On my model 3, I replaced the foam with a more dense foam that is also higher. What a difference!

I basically swapped for a foam from a car that never hurt driving all day.

Problem solved.

This was a lot of work and time. Putting another foam in, while using the standard OEM Tesla “leather” seat cover was very difficult. I had to come up with some creative solutions.

But it was worth it.

No pain from the wings / bolsters as they are now totally soft and above the metal, genuine suspension in the seat, no shock over bumps. Much better back. I haven't tested yet for a 3 hour drive but I'm loving every second in this revised seat and look forward to sitting in it.

I also modified my headrest so it doesn't push my head forward at all. The combination of the two changes seems to be the “trick”.

George Borrelli
2022 Tesla Model 3 P
Crystal River, Florida

• Helpful
Reactions: DukeofURL