Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S vs 2020 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to some tech work on my model S, i've had a model 3 loaner for a few weeks and thought i'd share my views

2017 Model S 100D, MCU1, EAP2 - 2020 Model 3 LR D, MCU 2, FSD computer, EAP enabled

The model 3 is a nippy little go cart, specs say it's maybe 0.4 sec slower, but you just notice instant Tesla torque. Handling the 3 certainly has it, just so nimble and easy to place. Not as smooth and the suspension is bumpy compared with my S particularly on a rough B road.

The 3 has it on efficiency and this is still the resistive heater model. The range is probably better too, though I've not done masses of distance. With the faster charging it may even be a bit quick at the services!

Curiously the 3 is quieter than my S. Guess there's new stuff in the build, maybe laminated glass or just better insulation, i also find my windows can whistle. the pillarless thing looks cool, but sealing :(

The MCU certainly has nicer more detailed maps, software a touch quicker, but it's less noticeable than expected. Better games and Video apps, but to be honest, i never really use them. In 8 months of S ownership, apart for a what have I bought look, I spent 30 mins playing 2048 with a mate whilst waiting for a ferry to load. I've yet to really wait at superchargers because typically the car is done before we've got food!
The irksome blank maps/loading still happens which is a surprise, why they don't do some background caching I'm not sure
The ONE feature I really do like is the indicators show what the side cameras see - This is cool and useful

Less stalks took a little while to get used to, but apart from wipers, I'm less bothered than expected. The steering wheel is better and actually compensates for most things. The centre screen is fine and no issue, sideways works well. I did used to drive an OLD mini that had a central speedo and well, for anywhere speed is critical, use cruise

The door handles are probably my biggest gripe, much prefer the S here, can't stand the external 3 handles, so fiddly....i typically push in, pop the door and hold the window lip to open.....The non hatchback boot is probably my next. The Y solves that one I recall.

Take away. The 3 is very impressive, I'll be happy to get my S back, but it's been enjoyable and the differences are not that huge. Not sure I'll bother with the MCU2 upgrade until needed though!
Screenshot 2023-09-11 1.02.04 PM.png

I've had a 3 LR loan car for 2,500 miles (long story) and have just this morning collected my S.

Plus points on the 3:
- visibility, with special props to the headlamps
- quieter wipers

I overcame what I thought would be dealbreakers, such as the Xbox steering wheel, cramped screen and clodhopping ride, but like you ended up frustrated at several smaller things it never occurred to me I might hate instead. Those door handles, having to constantly bang the gear selector (DRIIIVE!!!) when setting off, needing to micromanage the indicators at every single roundabout, Nimitz class carrier turning radius, etc.

One hundred yards in the S and I've forgotten about it

Reactions: El joe and Ulfilias
I had my MS2020 pre-refresh in for repairs and got a rental, likely a 2022 Model 3 and my take away... How is this car produced by the same manufacturer? It was pure trash. I liked nothing about it. I own a MY as well and really enjoy it...in some ways more than the S. My Chevy Volt was a better riding experience compared to the M3.

If the model 3 was the only car Tesla made I would not drive a Tesla. If it were the only EV available I'd drive an ICE.

Listen, I only say this among S owners.. I'm no Tesla snob. If Tesla is looking for a $25,000 car they have it in the M3. That's about what it's worth. Refresh looks promising though..

You mentioned the S windows whistle. We had that issue too and it's about a $20 fix per window at the service center. The windows come out of alignment over time and need to be realigned. Took the service person all of 10 minutes to do both and now it's way quieter inside our S.

• Love
Reactions: Ulfilias
I have a similar experience. The handle design is just not intuitive. I much preferred to have the instrument cluster, I wish they can move the current speed to the middle of the screen so that the steering wheel turn wouldn't block it. The 2022 M3 (still has stalks) is quieter than my 2017 S, the brake feels much more solid, and the suspension is better and more nimble. I like the backup camera view on the S, it's more natural to me, the 3 seems a little distorted (or it may be me so used to my S). Overall, I am impressed and may get one next year, can't wait to get my S back from the body shop.

Last edited:
I had a 2020 Model Y that I traded in for a 2018 Model 3. I've owned a 2017 MS and a 2018 MX as well (not at the same time). I waited a while before finding this 2018 RWD that's LR. The lack of a front motor and the performance of a LR makes this thing is so much fun to drive. Easy to maneuver and with a little acceleration, the RWD naturally helps rotate around any corner. I never thought I would get use to the 2020 Model Y only having one screen but it grew on me. So, jumping into the Model 3 wasn't that foreign to me. My friend just had delivered a 2023 Model 3 and it's night and day compared to the 2018. More solid of a car with better interior. I didn't buy the older Model 3 to be a superior car, I wanted something much more fun to drive. I equate driving the M3 as a older classic muscle. I really describe it as driving a Mazda Miata with an LS1 swap, and about as refined as such. I was hoping to obtain a Model S Plaid in the near future but the timing was much better for my wife to trade in her 2018 MX for a 2023 Plaid MX. So, my day will come much later for owning a Model S again. I do know the feeling of how the S is over the 3. I still to this day miss the 17 MS, but in the interim, I'm well happy to be zipping around in the vintage Model 3.