Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They confirmed indeed that it should work on the Enel/hera network.

Very helpful customer oriented people at Due Energie !
English speaking people available on their call centre.. even got personal confirmation about card-activation by SMS.

Sounds good! looking on his web site it seems that with this card is possible to use all the Hera/Enel charging stations.

Hi Italian Tesla friends!
I'm spending my holidays in Pelago and can't charge at the place I'm staying.
Today I went to Firenze and found the charger in the Via Ghibellina ICE-ed, so I charged at IKEA, not much fun with the wife and 3 boys. Does anyone know where I can charge near Pelago?

Hi Italian Tesla friends!
I'm spending my holidays in Pelago and can't charge at the place I'm staying.
Today I went to Firenze and found the charger in the Via Ghibellina ICE-ed, so I charged at IKEA, not much fun with the wife and 3 boys. Does anyone know where I can charge near Pelago?

I am not Italian, but we returned from Tuscany today :)

Sorry to hear you got ice-ed in Firenze. We charged at that exact spot on Friday.

Firenze Enel.jpg

When we were in Siena (highly recommend), 5 of the 6 spots reserved for EV's were occupied by non-EV's.

Not that it helps if a spot is ice-ed, but want to make sure you have the Enel Drive app on your phone. I was surprised to see how many chargers are out of order / offline. The app also shows occupied spots.

We charged in Firenze, Siena and Pisa using the Enel chargers. You may visit these cities, anyway. We also charged for free at the Designer Outlet in Barberino (3 spots with 16A single phase Type-2 chargers).

Since you mentioned you have 3 boys... The Arezzo SuC is by a hotel with a pool. Not only the hotel lets you use the pool, they offer towels to Tesla owners. We only stopped for a short charge, and did not take advantage of the offer, but I thought it was a nice touch.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
It look likes you did not have enough space for the car to park on the left. This seems to be very often the case in Italy - m experience. Reserved parking lots are too small given the length of the car. Also it's good practice to have a long charge-cable (6 meter minimum or 8 even better) given the fact that there is very often just one way to park (one direction streets).

Thx for the tips Hun, we actually did charge in Firenze

but left after an ice cream because we didn't feel good leaving the car like this.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Very happy with the Duferco Due Energy card; but a lot more surprised by how charging works in Tuscany:

- Firenze: the charger at Via Ghibellina (the only one in the center!) seems always to be miraculously available - nobody is ever charging there. On the other hand, the only way to reach it (as far as I know) is to ride through a (temporarily) car-free zone for about 30m (Via d'Angelo). All other routes I try on my GPS to that charger also involve riding through car-free zones… I wonder what the Italian police will have sent to my home address about the issue… Perhaps it is no wonder this charger is always available...

- Siena: Rode around for some time without finding Enel parking places which were not ICE'd (although signs clearly mention that these parking places are only there for e-cars which are charging, i.e. prohibition for other cars to park there). Finally found one ICE car leaving, but another driver wanted to take that place; I honked and blocked him before he could do so (because I actually really needed to charge!) and the result was (a) twenty people watching the outcome of the discussion and (b) a verbal fight where (I think) my Italian counterpart treated me with all names useful to send me to hell, and not wanting to believe I was entitled to that parking space rather than he was. He finally left, after indeed (probably) sending me to hell (but leaving the charger to me).

Very happy with the Duferco Due Energy card; but a lot more surprised by how charging works in Tuscany:

- Firenze: the charger at Via Ghibellina (the only one in the center!) seems always to be miraculously available - nobody is ever charging there. On the other hand, the only way to reach it (as far as I know) is to ride through a (temporarily) car-free zone for about 30m (Via d'Angelo). All other routes I try on my GPS to that charger also involve riding through car-free zones… I wonder what the Italian police will have sent to my home address about the issue… Perhaps it is no wonder this charger is always available.

I was told by a local that the car free zone does not apply for electric cars.

Many Italian towns use camera's to see if you are allowed to enter the zone. These systems just read the registration (numberplate) and they are not aware of the actual car being electric or not. So you would indeed need to get a permit allowing you to enter.

Indeed it seems EV are ok:

"Bicycles, electric vehicles, motorcycles and scooters are permitted entrance"

However a bit lower in that page it says:
"Non residents are prohibited from driving and parking cars within the ZTL at the following times: .."

I'll get one of my Italian friend to call the city to clear this out.

Arrived back in Belgium yesterday; no letters (yet) from Italian police! Charging in Tuscany was overall great thanks to Due Energie. On my second visit to Siena, all EV places were free and a local even want to stop me from parking there as my car didn't look like an EV.

However, on my last visit to Firenze the Enel App told me the charger was free, but there was another Tesla charging: apparently the app considers that you may as well use the other type of charging plug on the same charger, and does not inform you that the charger is "half" used (by the only Mennekes type of charging plug I had in my trunk :)). Could probably be ameliorated.

Rode back from Firenze this week-end via SuC Modena (alone there), Monte Ceneri (again alone), Egerkingen (again alone; sleeping at the Movenpick which is correct value for money, although their extras for breakfast/parking/dog influence the bill), Nancy (alone; really nice Ibis hotel BTW), and Metz (alone, but horrible place).

Will be leaving on our Italian road trip tomorrow.

After many back and forth with various part of the Italian administration, we are very close to successfully add our TMS in the white list that will allow us through the ZTL in Firenze.
Last step will be to drop some paperwork (were I certify my vehicle is 100% electric ?!?) when we arrive there to get registered.

Will share back the details if thus works