Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Items of consideration - Importing to Dubai UAE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching Tesla for sometime and would love to have a Model S here in Dubai. I see some have arrived but there is no official local support for them yet. I realize the maintenance problems of having a Tesla in a unsupported area but am happy to take the chance that Tesla will soon be officially out here and that in the meantime I may have to fork out for a ranger to fly in or worst case export the car to a service center.

With all that said, I really to be sure that the car, with ALL its amazing features, will actually work out here. Below are some issues that on my mind - these are really all I need to resolve prior to purchasing and importing..

EUROPE vs USA Spec

What is better – Europe or USA spec. As far as I can see, the USA wall chargers operates off a 240V power supply and/or 110V wall outlet. In the USA, 240V is achieved by pulling from 2 legs of a three phase power supply. In Europe and UAE is 240V is standard single phase anyway – so I don’t see any compatibility issues for charging..

If Europe is Norway best?

I heard that it is easiest to but Tesla from Norway as they done have a sales tax which might otherwise be expensive or at least difficult to try to get refunded after export.

SIM

I understand that Tesla gets its updates via Cellular data and/or wifi. I understand that the car has its own built in SIM card for cellular data and does not rely on Bluetooth connectivity to the drivers cell phone. Presumably, cellular data is pretty important if you want traffic updates or want the car to be able to look up the address of a restaurant etc..

Should I get the inbuilt SIM replaced with a SIM card that I could provide from the local cellular provider here in Dubai? If so – what size SIM do they need? How should I go about getting the SIM changed?

Autopilot

Will features like Auto-pilot work outside of Tesla service areas? Obviously, its ability would be limited by the map data available. Most of the major routes are well mapped on Garmin and Google maps in Dubai. My route to work is very well mapped and I would hope that I could use the Autopilot feature to make the heavy traffic less tiring…

Navigation

I imagine that if I bought a Tesla in USA or Norway – it would be preprogrammed with Europe or USA maps. How will I be able to get the UAE Dubai maps loaded? Garmin, Tom Tom and Google Maps all have pretty good mapping for Dubai – so I assume that Tesla can somehow access this data…

Hi Toby,

We have 50+ Model S & X in the UAE and have had 2 ranger visits in 2016. Let me try to address your questions one by one (in red below). Send me a PM and we can add you to our WhatsApp owners group.

Click below to expand and see my answers...

EUROPE vs USA Spec

What is better – Europe or USA spec. As far as I can see, the USA wall chargers operates off a 240V power supply and/or 110V wall outlet. In the USA, 240V is achieved by pulling from 2 legs of a three phase power supply. In Europe and UAE is 240V is standard single phase anyway – so I don’t see any compatibility issues for charging..

Definitely Europe spec. The electricity is compatible, and Tesla honour the warranty of European spec cars. There are many charging stations in Dubai, all Type 2 and a few Chademo. Most households here can supply up to 3 phase 100 amps, so a 3 phase 24 or 32 amp charging setup with an HPWC or 3rd party charger is no problem.

If Europe is Norway best?

I heard that it is easiest to but Tesla from Norway as they done have a sales tax which might otherwise be expensive or at least difficult to try to get refunded after export.

I personally prefer Norway, however Tesla now make it much easier to import from Tilburg NL (Other Europe on Tesla.com). The only downside remaining with Tilburg is that they ask a much higher deposit than any other supported country (the last order we put in the deposit was AED 100,000! For Norway you need a Norwegian friend to initially register the car, and we can supply one if you don't know any. I hear that the Norwegian warranty is also better due to their customer protection laws, should you need to return the car; it is 5 years by law - one year more than the standard warranty. This is what I was told but have not seen anything in writing.

SIM

I understand that Tesla gets its updates via Cellular data and/or wifi. I understand that the car has its own built in SIM card for cellular data and does not rely on Bluetooth connectivity to the drivers cell phone. Presumably, cellular data is pretty important if you want traffic updates or want the car to be able to look up the address of a restaurant etc..

Should I get the inbuilt SIM replaced with a SIM card that I could provide from the local cellular provider here in Dubai? If so – what size SIM do they need? How should I go about getting the SIM changed?

The original large size sim will fit. We can help you fit it here if you like, but if you can supply one Tesla will do it for you. Physical installation on European cars is easy but requires a little help from our friendly Tesla ranger to get you access to the service mode to set the domain after installation. Again it can be done without a ranger visit. You don't actually need to replace the sim as you can get a permanent wifi dongle connected via the USB - it is a messy solution but it works. I pay 150 AED monthly for my Tesla dedicated sim which gets me 5gb of data.

Autopilot

Will features like Auto-pilot work outside of Tesla service areas? Obviously, its ability would be limited by the map data available. Most of the major routes are well mapped on Garmin and Google maps in Dubai. My route to work is very well mapped and I would hope that I could use the Autopilot feature to make the heavy traffic less tiring…

Auto-pilot works fine and amazingly gets better just like it does everywhere else. It doesn't seem to be limited by map data. I use it all the time. We do not yet have any experience with version 2.0.

Navigation

I imagine that if I bought a Tesla in USA or Norway – it would be preprogrammed with Europe or USA maps. How will I be able to get the UAE Dubai maps loaded? Garmin, Tom Tom and Google Maps all have pretty good mapping for Dubai – so I assume that Tesla can somehow access this data…

We have not yet managed to get Middle East maps for our cars. Google maps works and you can locate destinations with it and set a pin, but you will have to work out your own route. Turn by turn will not work until you get the car back to Europe or America. I hope one day (very soon) when Tesla opens here that they will be able to give us an update.

Toby,

+1 for everything Ames said. From your initial post, it's pretty obvious you've done your research, and you're pretty familiar with the hows and whats of importing a Tesla in the UAE.

As Ames mentioned, we are a group of over 50 Tesla owners, and our membership is growing everyday. There's a tremendous interest for Tesla in the UAE (surprising to many, but not to us), and it's matter of when in 2017, not if, Tesla will establish official presence here.

If you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

I am going to be visiting Dubai in late February. I am considering shipping my Model S P90D ahead of my arrival to use while on vacation then selling before I leave the country. Would this be a good idea or not? I figured I could get more money by selling it in the UAE before I leave than in the US. Any thoughts?