Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Its not that cold yet is it?..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got up this morning and into to my lovely preheated Y. Took about 10mins driving before a more realistic 3 degrees was indicated
IMG_9242.jpg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Mine was saying -7 the other evening when we were waiting in it, in reality it was closer to 1, not sure if the sensor is somewhere near the heat pump and the heat was being sucked out of the air around it?? It would seem a bit of a design error if so, but seems like a reason to register temperature much colder than it really it.

Got up this morning and into to my lovely preheated Y. Took about 10mins driving before a more realistic 3 degrees was indicated
View attachment 882486

(3 - 32 ) x 5/9 = -16.1r

Looks like it might have messed up, treating 3*C as 3*F and then converting it to Celsius for display.

(Before I moved over here, there were 2 nights, in February 1982, that were colder than that. Now, it's a more common occurrence for me. Not actually _that_ common, it's still _cold_ to be 3*F overnight in winter, but not like it'd make the news.)

Mine was showing -6 just now when weather apps suggest it should be about 1 or 2 degrees and it feels more like that.

I’ve never spotted such a discrepancy before.

To add: it was showing that from the start and after about 30mins of driving.

Mine was showing -6 just now when weather apps suggest it should be about 1 or 2 degrees and it feels more like that.

I’ve never spotted such a discrepancy before.

To add: it was showing that from the start and after about 30mins of driving.
Yes, the temperature showing on the screen in our MYLR is also a good 2 or 3 degrees too low.

We are having this discussion on the Facebook group.
A few of us are experiencing much lower than real temperatures. I had -9 in Cambridge 2 days ago which is quite unheard of.
In reality it was 2. This morning -9 when it was -1 actually.

The problem I think is that the car might go into defogging unnecessarily, or might attempt to heat the batteries without any need.
I have reported this to SC and they say they are going to do remote testing.

I had my car in the MK SC 2 weeks ago for a number of other issues, including this one and they just "updated the firmware".

My car is a Aug 2022 Model 3 LR - I'm wondering if this is a batch issue or a design flaw.

If if we’re a design flaw you would have thought it would have been seen already in the skandi countries already? The last couple of mornings have been colder than Wednesday but I mannually preheated the car just a few minutes before I needed it. Wednesday I was charging at home and set it up for a scheduled preheat

It's not a design flaw. The sensor is just behind the grill (the tiny red dot in this pic).
Lots of threads with this sort of problem. Some have had sensors replaced, some firmware updates. Search bar is at the top right of the page ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 18.13.06.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 18.13.06.png
    243.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
If if we’re a design flaw you would have thought it would have been seen already in the skandi countries already? The last couple of mornings have been colder than Wednesday but I mannually preheated the car just a few minutes before I needed it. Wednesday I was charging at home and set it up for a scheduled preheat

yes I think it's more likely a sensor fault of some kind
my car came in Aug with all kinds of issues, I think it was a bit rushed after the Shanghai lockdown.........