Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

James Murdoch // Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen this raised on any of the forums (or anywhere for that matter) so I thought I'd take a stab at it & get some feedback.

How is it, that James Murdoch, uber billionaire, and the guy who just cashed out his network (20th Century Fox) to Disney's billions, is on the board of Tesla while at the same time being the CEO, and 100% responsible for, the Trump News Network, AKA Fox News.

I fully understand that the guy may have no motives in life other than making piles and piles of cash, which I could normally accept as an understandable explanation at any other company, but not Tesla. Elon Musk says over and over again -- Tesla's mission is not to make money, it's to accelerate the transition to a sustainable energy future. This is 100% at odds with the Fox News network's mission of spreading disinformation and climate change denial worldwide.

I don't think I'd be going out on a limb to say James Murdoch is at least as powerful as Elon in the greater power structure at Tesla, due to his extensive wealth and political ties worldwide, so it really begs the question: why is he here? I simply cannot think of a legitimate reason. If he's in it for the money, then Elon's a fraud and a charlatan. If he's making penance for all the damage Fox News is doing to the world, why has he not reined them in? And regardless of all of this, why would Elon (and everyone else on the Tesla board for that matter) accept on the board the man who is providing all the publicity and legitimacy to the Trump movement?

Why has Elon not addressed this? Why has anyone not addressed this for that matter?

Thoughts?

Apparently you were not at, or did not watch this year's share holder meeting. There was a proposal to remove him (and a few other of the board members), that failed.

Yeah didn't watch the whole thing. I'd also say though that's irrelevant to the point at hand. Fox News did not start being Fox News in 2016 with the rise of Trump. It was Fox News well before Trump, and well before Tesla. Trump is a consequence of Fox News, not the inverse. So again, why would Elon and the others on the Tesla board invite this man to their party? And why has Elon never addressed this? Everyone knew who this man is.

Talk about fake news...
For one thing, you're confusing the Murdoch family members. Rupert Murdoch, James' father, is Chairman of Fox News, News Corporation, Wall St Journal, and many other right-wing news operations. The CEO of Fox News is currently Suzanne Scott.

There was plenty of discussion at the time, which you could easily find if you use the search feature here, about James. He is very involved in a number of environmental issues, and appears to be a reasonable choice. He has almost nothing to do with managing any of Rupert's news ventures, that would be the other brother Lachlan.

Talk about fake news...
For one thing, you're confusing the Murdoch family members. Rupert Murdoch, James' father, is Chairman of Fox News, News Corporation, Wall St Journal, and many other right-wing news operations. The CEO of Fox News is currently Suzanne Scott.

There was plenty of discussion at the time, which you could easily find if you use the search feature here, about James. He is very involved in a number of environmental issues, and appears to be a reasonable choice. He has almost nothing to do with managing any of Rupert's news ventures, that would be the other brother Lachlan.

That's not what Wiki says.

James Murdoch - Wikipedia

James Rupert Jacob Murdoch (born 13 December 1972) is a British-American businessman,[2] the younger son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, the chief executive officer (CEO) of 21st Century Fox, and chairman of Sky plc.

Rupert Murdoch resigned as Chairman of Fox in 2015, when James took over. I don't care who the chairman of Fox News is, I don't think that matters, given how Trump has heavily intertwined politics, business, and media, and especially given Trump's immediate blessing of the sale to Disney. James Murdoch is CEO of the parent company since 2015, and his direction matters.

The father still owns it, but the son runs it. I'd also assume the son has a minority share.

Last edited:
Yeah didn't watch the whole thing. I'd also say though that's irrelevant to the point at hand. Fox News did not start being Fox News in 2016 with the rise of Trump. It was Fox News well before Trump, and well before Tesla. Trump is a consequence of Fox News, not the inverse. So again, why would Elon and the others on the Tesla board invite this man to their party? And why has Elon never addressed this? Everyone knew who this man is.
Talk about fake news...

Just to add to this -- not sure if you're a reader of the Washington Post or not, but there's been a definite change in their tone over the past couple months since Trump decided to come down on Amazon & Jeff Bezos. It's subtle, but it definitely is there. That's one opinion I do share with Trump -- the old "run as an independent entity" line is b.s. for the most part. Ergo I don't care who the Chairman of Fox News is. Policy is set from the top.