Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joe Rogan - The Blowback from Owning a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in the day I used to make minimal stops and try to get to my destination as quickly as I could (even taking some pride in how quickly I got there). I had friends who would stop along the way for sight-seeing or such, but it never interested me. "Yeah, but I got here in only 5 hours!"

No question that I can't achieve that in my Tesla. If the question is "how quickly can you get there", the EV will lose.

If my cargo was a transplant organ (ignoring that you wouldn't use a car for such a long trip), I'd absolutely go ICE (for now).

And if you focus on those issues, you will trap yourself in that world where EV's don't make sense. If you stew about it, you don't see past the problem.

Now that I've used my Tesla for the same trips (SF area to LA/SD/PS area), I have a different attitude towards the trip itself. I'm enjoying the trip more rather than seeing it as a problem to overcome or minimize. I don't accept fast food or eating in the car on a trip any more - there are plenty of decent restaurants along the way to enjoy a much better meal - one does have to eat - and there are good choices next to some of the superchargers. I aim for Harris Ranch with full service restaurants over Kettleman with a lounge and several fast food choices - though I do stop at Kettleman sometimes for ice cream. I actually look forward to spending the day driving. The coast route no longer seems unnecessary or unbearable. Maybe we're lucky in CA, but a lot of the SC on the North/South route are at places I enjoy stopping anyway - Gilroy Outlets, Harris Ranch, Madonna Inn, Cabazon (date shakes!).

So, my car and myself do end up at the destination later. On the other hand, when I was doing the "drive straight through with minimal stops" version, I would need to rest or shower or do something to unwind and feel present. When I get there after a day of enjoying the driving I'm good to go. What? People want to immediately go to a club that's half an hour away by car? Great, I'll drive. (And, yes, I've done the "tour bus driver" at the destination after a road trip thing.) So, how do you define "total trip time"? The bragging rights of ignition to final parking aren't the same as the reality of leaving the origin and arriving ready to go at the destination.

When my cargo is me, I'm actually liking the new road trip experience that I've come to in my EV. And, in a practical sense, I'm ready to go at the destination at about the same time anyway.

When the question becomes "how do you want to get there", the duration isn't as big of an issue and the choice of car doesn't matter as much in this scenario. This is not something that I would have embraced before.

Caveats...

If my cargo was some younger kids, I have no experience or suggestions for that.

If I had to do these trips more than a couple of times a year, this new experience might lose its luster. But even if I reverted to just wanting to get to the destination, I'd still probably look to stop for a real meal which would make the bulk of the charging disappear anyway. I don't think I'll ever go back to viewing meals on a road trip as "something to get through as quickly as possible" - what's the point of that? In the end, it is still time spent on Earth - and one needs to eat while spending one's time on Earth - so why is it suddenly "who has the shortest lines?" just because you are on a road trip? I may not be eating at the French Laundry, but I'll take Harris Ranch or Bravo Farms over McD's or the hot dogs rotating at a gas station convenience store any day.

If my cargo was some younger kids, I have no experience or suggestions for that.
Kids need to stop more often anyway, as they grow weary of being cooped up in a vehicle, and stops with younger kids tend to take longer. That said, here are some favorite Supercharger experiences with kids, where the car was ready to go well before the kids were:

- Skateboard park practically next door to the Lone Pine, CA Superchargers.

- Board games in the Supercharger lounge at Kettleman City, CA.

- Swings on a shaded grassy area by the Superchargers at Topaz Lake, NV (aka. Gardinerville).

- Playing in the sprinklers and rolling around on the grass at Green River, UT (needed towels and a change of clothes after that!).

This is not to mention numerous other Supercharger stops where we as a family have eaten at nearby restaurants, gone shopping, etc.